12 Replies - 519 Views - Last Post: 22 July 2012 - 09:23 PM

• = -1
  • member icon

• View blog

PayPal and privacy of information

Posted 18 July 2012 - 10:58 PM

I've just upped some money to my PayPal account to pay for contractors who are doing artwork for me. Never had a problem in the past. I upped over $1000, since I had a lot on the boil, which has now qualified me for a friendly Australian Anti-Money Laundering check:

We need to verify your name and date of birth for your PayPal Account, just like a bank does when you open a bank account. This helps us ensure you are protected online and is our commitment to Australia's Anti-Money Laundering (AML) laws.

We need to check the primary account holder'sFor business accounts, this is the authorised account operator or Primary Contact whose details were provided on sign up. identity and residential address.

For business accounts, this is the authorised account operator or Primary Contact whose details were provided on sign up.

Please provide one of the Proof of Identity documents listed below. If you are a Sole Trader operating under a Business or trading name, we also require a Certificate of Business Name Registration The document must show your full name and date of birth and this information must correspond with the information on your PayPal account.

Submit one of the following documents:
ĽA current Australian or foreign driver's licence or permit (both sides);
ĽAn Australian passport (current or expired by up to two years);
ĽA current foreign or United Nations Passport, including photo and signature;
ĽA current Australian Proof of Age Card - issued under a law of a State or Territory;
ĽA current national identity card - issued for the purpose of identification (Any Country);
ĽAn Australian birth certificate;
ĽAn Australian citizenship certificate;
ĽA citizenship certificate issued by a foreign government, accompanied by an English translation prepared by an accredited translator (if not in English).

If you choose to submit your driver's licence as a Proof of Name/Date of Birth, you cannot use it again as a Proof of Address.

Birth Certificate?
Citizenship Certificate?
Passport?
Driver's Licence?

On top of this, I have to provide proof of address, with one of the following:

Submit one of the following documents:
ĽUtility Bill e.g. Electricity, Gas, Water, Landline phone bill (issued within the last three months);
ĽNotice of Council Rates (issued within the last three months);
ĽTax Assessment provided by the Australian Taxation Office (issued within the last twelve months); or
ĽA Centrelink Statement (issued within the last twelve months).

So, at the very least my Driver's Licence and a Utility Bill. At most, my Passport and Tax / Social Security Information. Looks to me like more than enough information to steal my identity and empty out my bank accounts within minutes. Now, I realise that PayPal aren't on a maniacal spree to steal people's identities, but giving over this information, I'm extremely wary. Where is it stored? Somewhere secure I'd hope. Somewhere more secure than PSN anyway...

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: PayPal and privacy of information

• Great::Southern::Land
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: PayPal and privacy of information

Posted 19 July 2012 - 12:28 AM

Call them and discuss this. No way would I be giving this shit out. Are you even Australian lol ?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

Posted 19 July 2012 - 05:22 AM

This would also be pretty standard in the US. Its supposed to protect your identity from other people transferring large amounts of your funds without your knowledge and consent.

The two forms of identification are required for a lot of accounts, especially with ones that involve financials and personally identifying information. I wish I could tell you where or how that information is stored, but you'd have better luck looking at their privacy policy online. I seriously doubt it is a scam, though.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Pancakes!
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 19 July 2012 - 10:12 AM

The problem isn't what PayPal wants to do with the information, it's whether PayPal can guarantee that it's treated responsibly, and what recourse you have if someone gets hold of it.

Consider: they're asking you to give them information sufficient to open an account on line. Do they hang onto this? If so, it's potentially compromised, which means some potentially has the information needed to open a bank account in your name.

I'd be concerned.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

#5 modi123_1  Icon User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 19 July 2012 - 10:14 AM

POPULAR

... wait.. did you get this in an email? It sounds.. phishy.
Was This Post Helpful? 5
  • +
  • -

• Hash != Encryption
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 19 July 2012 - 11:04 AM

It's almost as bad as those "Tell us everything about you for your 1 million Zimbabwe dollars"

Are you sure it's from Paypal? Keep in mind emails can be forged, easily.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• = -1
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 19 July 2012 - 02:20 PM

No I didn't get it in an email, I got it form the PayPal website. I've looked into my options, and I am able to take a form into my local Australia Post post office and my identity can be verified there, which I feel much more comfortable with.

Yeah modi, I looked at the web address, it was legit, and it didn't come in an email. I agree with jon, it's not that PayPal would be using the information maliciously, it's whether or not they can keep it secure. Sad times we live in :(
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• member icon

• View blog

Posted 22 July 2012 - 12:51 AM

Yea do it at the post office, if they're good enough for passports then they are good enough for paypal. Seems a little full on thats all e_i_pi.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• = -1
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 22 July 2012 - 01:15 AM

Yeah it's done now, and sorted out, all via Australia Post. Gotta say, it was certainly a shock when I was presented with that sort of ultimatum from PayPal when they had $1200 of my moneys, and weren't willing to let me transfer it back to my bank account or to other PayPal accounts.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• member icon

• View blog

Posted 22 July 2012 - 08:25 PM

Yea it certainly would have been. Its almost bullying - maybe write something to the ACCC, I wouldn't think you would be the first to go through this :)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 22 July 2012 - 08:32 PM

It's really not its protecting themselves from money laundering if you've got a problem with it dont use their service simple as that.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Toubabo Koomi
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 22 July 2012 - 08:32 PM

View PostDaneAU, on 22 July 2012 - 11:25 PM, said:

Its almost bullying -

Hardly.

If it's Australian law, that's that. PayPal simply follows the rules, & passes the hassle onto the users.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Code herder
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 22 July 2012 - 09:23 PM

It gets worse. Try changing your name legally and get PayPal to recognize the name change.

PayPal now has multiple documents from me with more than enough information to do identity theft should a malicious person get a hold of it, but PayPal still has me listed with my old name. *sigh*

My current wife isn't give me a hard time about my Paypal account still have my previous hyphenated married last name, because she still hasn't changed her last name either. :lol:
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1