Server for a Single player game

• (2 Pages)
  • +

21 Replies - 1378 Views - Last Post: 25 July 2012 - 06:33 PM Rate Topic: -----

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Server for a Single player game

Posted 19 July 2012 - 05:06 PM

I'm interested in modding a single player game up to the point that it can be played for atleast two players.
Since I have no experience I was hoping for some advice.
What are the primary things that make single player games different from multiplayer (except the obvious)?

I thought of starting from programming a server, this tutorial looks like something I need?
http://www.dreaminco...-serve-clients/

Thanks!

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Server for a Single player game

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Server for a Single player game

Posted 19 July 2012 - 05:09 PM

What game are you modding?

What are the primary things that make single player games different from multiplayer (except the obvious)?

For the folks at home - what are the "obvious" things you had in mind? I would hate to retread over ground.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 19 July 2012 - 05:37 PM

My first idea was The Elder Scrolls Skyrim but I'm afraid that I'm a bit over my head. Still i thought, since it has proven to be quite good for modding, it's a resonable idea.

By obvious I meant the difference of the number of players involved.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover

• View blog

Posted 19 July 2012 - 05:52 PM

There are several issues that have not been addressed here:

1. Some game that allow you to mod them will only provide limited source code with the rest locked away in libraries, these ones you will not be able to convert from single player to two players.

2. If you find a game with complete source, depending on the complexity of the architecture and your skill level you will likely get stuck, simply because the game will have been programmed for single player and adding anything to change that will be a lot of work.

As said, you need to give us an idea of any games you have your eye on.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 19 July 2012 - 06:02 PM

Ok, the previously mentioned Skyrim, there are Gothic 1 and 2, Arx Fatalis, Mirriors Edge and that's about it. I believe that Arx Fatalis is partially open-source.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 23 July 2012 - 12:42 AM

Even if a game isnt open source, its still possible. You would however need an understand of the Assembly language. to add another player, you would first need to find your players class in your game(his X,Y,Z, Mess and model information, his models stance, etc) then you would make an inject-able DLL that actively reads and send this data to a PHP file on a server - this file would then send your information to your friends computer if hes connected - and his data back to you. His computer would take your players class information - and add you as a non-interactive item to his game.

-technically since you only want it to be 2 players - you can skip the server, and use each others IP addresses to send the information directly to one another - this can be useful for checking multiplayer information - without paying for a server that allows you to use sockets.

your probably much better off working in an open source sdk, or learning packet sending and receiving on your own - besides there is absolutely no money in doing all that work to someone elses game.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover

• View blog

Posted 23 July 2012 - 05:41 AM

^ No, not at all. You cannot derive source from disassembled code. Nonsense.

You can derive basic functionality, but not add a complete multiplayer element to a closed source game.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• .. does not guess solutions
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 23 July 2012 - 06:23 AM

View PostButchDean, on 23 July 2012 - 01:41 PM, said:

You can derive basic functionality, but not add a complete multiplayer element to a closed source game.

Well that entirely depends on how the game was built. Overriding drawing of a single player to handle two player objects (assuming that the player is an object instance) is not so difficult.

Adding entire multiplayer wouldn't be so difficult if you can figure out how to draw another player in the world of the game, as that is almost literally all you would need to do depending on the type of game. Modifying player attributes (health etc) based on another player wouldn't be so difficult, and nor would adding networking as it's separate from having to touch the existing game much at all.

The difficult part, of course, is to learn how to do this from the start, and that's where it's ridiculous.

In this case I would agree with in that you would be better off modding a fully open source game, unless the "mod" for the game is the actual core (as it is in games such as RTCW, Enemy Territory, Quake, etc), then you'll have some freedom to do whatever you want.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 23 July 2012 - 02:04 PM

View PostButchDean, on 23 July 2012 - 05:41 AM, said:

Yes you can. your going to tell me the multiplayer cracks of GTA dont exist, I guess if you say so - and they never had the source but they managed to mod the maps, add multiplayer, add new cars, new skins, new guns, etc,etc,etc.. and it was done with disassembling and some function hooking.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 23 July 2012 - 02:11 PM

Even if a game isnt open source, its still possible.

.. and your solid ethics and morals would keep you from delving into this route; you know - respecting the IP from THOSE developers.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 23 July 2012 - 02:53 PM

Its not away unethical to add additional functionality to another persons game. Examples would in GTA, Starcraft, FEAR. There are legal mods for all of them even though they are closed source - that where made by 3rd partys that add additional features that where not in the original. Some of the best games I have ever played - where because of the 3rd party mods to the maps in scarcraft and warcraft. Though its easy to use this information incorrectly - your on the wrong site for using it wrong. If he wanted to do something bad - there a LOTS of sites explaining how easy it is to mess with other people games in a bad way.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 23 July 2012 - 02:57 PM

Its not away unethical to add additional functionality to another persons game. Examples would in GTA, Starcraft, FEAR.

I'm not talking about the ones that provide you tools to mod out the game... I'm talking about the games that explicitly tell you not to... or the ones you alter when you aren't quite sure what their position is.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 23 July 2012 - 03:04 PM

the 3 examples you quoted from me did not provide tools to mod there games (well starcraft kinda.. but there editor was crudy and none of the good maps came from it) - nore did they ever give anyone permission to mod there games. But this is just getting off topic now. Ive made my statements - make of them what you wish. In the same way hacking into a server isnt illegal, unless you dont have permission to do so. Use judgement in everything you do.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 23 July 2012 - 04:29 PM

In the same way hacking into a server isnt illegal, unless you dont have permission to do so.

Wait.. wait.. wait a minute. That's some jank logic.. but what evs..
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• Self-Trained Economist
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 23 July 2012 - 04:45 PM

Permission is explicitly granted. In the same way that if I don't invite you into my house, you're not welcome. And if I let you use my lawn mower, you don't have the right to play around with its engine unless I explicitly say you can. Property rights still apply online.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• (2 Pages)
  • +