• Last »

236 Replies - 7777 Views - Last Post: 26 July 2012 - 07:11 AM

#1 modi123_1  Icon User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Gunman in the Colorado theater...

Posted 20 July 2012 - 06:54 AM

I am not sure if everyone caught this story yet - but here it is...

Gunman kills 12 in Colorado movie theater
A heavily armed gunman tossed tear gas into the darkness of an Aurora, Colorado movie theater Friday and then sprayed the audience with gunfire during an early morning screening of the new Batman movie, killing 12 and wounding 38 others, authorities said.

One of the injured was just 3 months old, according to hospital workers.

Police arrested a man believed to be the shooter in a rear parking lot of the theater, Frank Fania, a police spokesman, told CNN. The suspect was not immediately identified. Police said he was a man in his 20s from Aurora.

"He did not resist. He did not put up a fight," Fania said. Police seized a rifle and a handgun from the suspect, and another gun was found in the theater, he said.

Oates said there was no evidence of a second gunman, and FBI spokesman Jason Pack said it did not appear the incident was related to terrorism.

Police said the gunman "appeared" in the front of the theater and threw a smoke bomb before opening fire. A federal law enforcement official told CNN the smoke bomb described by witnesses was tear gas. It was unclear how the man got into the theater, but witnesses told CNN affiliate KUSA that he came in through an emergency door.
cite

Now coming into work the radio stations were a buzz on so many crazy theories and outcomes. People calling in outraged theaters do not have armed swat members at all doors frisking everyone, that this guy just wanted to go to prison to escape debt and get three-squares... we need more gun control.. the theater *AND* the movie producers should be sued for providing the messages that this guy keyed off on... that this whole genre is to blame... that midnight movies will be banned.. consumes will be banned.. more thorough frisking (ignore the hoagie and gallon of HeeHaw soda please)... metal detectors... movie theater attendance will drop and destroy the industry unless people are made to feel safe.. etc..etc.. etc.

Personally, and this might be the hang over talking, I am not going to feel any less safe in a theater than I felt twenty four hours ago. I see this as a deliberate incident by one person... someone who clearly planned for it (flack jacket, gas mask, etc) and there's not much you can do, short of holing yourself up, to prevent a "wrong place at a wrong time". I am going to be pissed about any sort of knee jerk reaction I'll have to live through because of it.

Any thoughts on the tragedy? Is this going to affect your movie going habits? Any speculation on reaction?

Also updated information on the "why" would be nice if you hear it.

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 3
  • +

Replies To: Gunman in the Colorado theater...

• I'm a cheeseburger
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Gunman in the Colorado theater...

Posted 20 July 2012 - 07:01 AM

My opinion is the same as yours about my opinions of the theatre. But of course you know the knee-jerk reactions are going to create some fears, and just to "feel safe" people are going to demand some level of pat down or something... something that reasonably makes these people feel 'safe', while being affordable for the theatres, and really doesn't do anything to improve actual safety.

And who knows, holing yourself up doesn't necessarily guarantee safety. Maybe some psycho decides your crazy holing of oneself up to be offensive, and decides to nade your house.

Oh, and thanks Colorado, leave it to you to always successfully accomplish the horrendous acts that we Floridians merely attempt.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

Posted 20 July 2012 - 07:11 AM

Can't go anywhere without subjecting yourself to the possibility of a crazy asshole who will mow down innocent people for no reason.

Can't stay home without the possibility that if some crazy asshole really wanted to, he could break into your home and murder your family.

Its a part of the chaos that is life, and frankly, these people who are outraged just haven't realized that the only time they are happy, content, and safe are when they have fooled themselves. They are never 100% safe.

You can do your best to protect yourself. You can cower underneath your blanket and hide from the big bad world. But is living in constant fear really living?

The last time I remember this sort of bullshit was with the Dimebag Darrel shooting at Alrosa Villa. Aside from a little tighter security there for a while, and some cancelled shows out of respect, the place is still open, thriving, and people are still going.

Colorado sticks with the tried and true methods of destruction; guns, bombs, etc. Florida has to do crazy shit like eat faces and bludgeoning with candlesticks.
Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

• Pancakes!
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 20 July 2012 - 07:13 AM

POPULAR

My movie-going habits will not change at all.
But I don't go to movies.
Was This Post Helpful? 7
  • +
  • -

• The Peasant
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 20 July 2012 - 08:23 AM

Shootings like this happen often, and smaller scale shootings happen particularly in that part of town every day, the only reason the news is making it out to be so big is the fact that it was a midnight premiere of a huge block buster film. Keeping those people in my thoughts though, it could have happened to anyone, anywhere, at any time. Really bad part of town though, everyone who lives in Colorado near or around Denver knows this. Was it a full moon last night? People seem to be crazier during full moons. I'm still going to the movies, and I'm still keeping an eye on things at all times as usual, can't trust anybody. Colorado is crazy for sure, our shooters seem to redefine the term "shooting" anytime they decide to do one. Look up the crime rate of Aurora. It's not wonderful, beats every suburb around it exponentially in crime rates.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• holy shitin shishkebobs
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 20 July 2012 - 08:44 AM

View PostCelerian, on 20 July 2012 - 10:11 AM, said:

Colorado sticks with the tried and true methods of destruction; guns, bombs, etc. Florida has to do crazy shit like eat faces and bludgeoning with candlesticks.

QFT

On topic, however, this will do little to my movie-going experience. I very, very rarely go to the movies (usually once every year or two for something the kids really want to see). Frankly, spending $50 to take my kids to see something in a dark room full of strange people and sticky floors when I could wait three months, rent it for $2 and the price of microwave popcorn and watch it in the comfort of my own home just doesn't appeal to me.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• serial frotteur - RUDEST MEMBER ON D.I.C.
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 20 July 2012 - 08:47 AM

View Posttrevster344, on 20 July 2012 - 09:23 AM, said:

Shootings like this happen often, and smaller scale shootings happen particularly in that part of town every day, the only reason the news is making it out to be so big is the fact that it was a midnight premiere of a huge block buster film.

no, they are making a big deal out of it because 12 were killed and 38 were hurt. that is not your normal street crime, but any measure.

nothing to do with a movie, at all. just a sick dude looking for a big crowd.
Was This Post Helpful? 4
  • +
  • -

• XNArchitect
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 20 July 2012 - 08:47 AM

inb4 this devolves into an argument over gun rights and gun control laws.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Hash != Encryption
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 20 July 2012 - 09:02 AM

There's a man on reddit listing updates

There's talk about there being multiple gunman.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• The Peasant
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 20 July 2012 - 09:04 AM

Apparently more guns found at the scene. Either someone was packing and dropped their gun or there were multiple shooters.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• serial frotteur - RUDEST MEMBER ON D.I.C.
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 20 July 2012 - 09:17 AM

or the guy carried more than one gun? you're working on nothing but conjecture there.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 20 July 2012 - 09:18 AM

I swear if this evolves into more gun control...
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• Pancakes!
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 20 July 2012 - 09:20 AM

POPULAR

Or the "free gun when you buy two tickets and a big popcorn" promotion wasn't the brightest idea?
Was This Post Helpful? 5
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 20 July 2012 - 09:20 AM

I know, they should start something called BOMB CONTROL!
No more bombs.
Was This Post Helpful? -3
  • +
  • -

• Pancakes!
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 20 July 2012 - 09:21 AM

View PostJoePatriot, on 20 July 2012 - 11:18 AM, said:

I swear if this evolves into more gun control...

... then what?

View PostJoePatriot, on 20 July 2012 - 11:20 AM, said:

I know, they should start something called BOMB CONTROL!
No more bombs.

Yeah, that's actually working pretty nicely. Or did you notice that these guys seem to do a lot more shooting than bombing?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• (16 Pages)
  • +
  • Last »