4 Replies - 715 Views - Last Post: 21 July 2012 - 01:38 AM

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Internet Security

Posted 20 July 2012 - 11:18 AM

Im currently studying Java but once ive completed that i would like to get into Internet Security.
What other things do i need to study and whats the best way to get to where i want to be?

Thanks!
Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Internet Security

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Internet Security

Posted 20 July 2012 - 11:40 AM

What? How are we supposed to know 'where you want to be'?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#3 macosxnerd101  Icon User is online

• Self-Trained Economist
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 20 July 2012 - 11:42 AM

Buy a book on network security and read it.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 21 July 2012 - 01:20 AM

Gotta agree with the other posters: get an internet security book and read it. Get some certifications in the field (the lower-level CISSP certs are a great start). Do some entry level work in the field. You should have it under control by then...
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 21 July 2012 - 01:38 AM

I've dabbled with this area, though it's a diverse one. Still, the starting points are pretty much the same. Here are some basic guidelines to get you started:

You will want to start by learning and understanding all the basic protocols used in communication. learn IPv4, IPv6, VOiP, HTTP, HTTPS, FTP and Telnet. They aren't simple to understand (apart from http), but you can get there - there's not much to learn, it's just all layered. Afterwards, you might want to pick up a copy of the following books: cryptography and network security and Hacking exposed . It doesn't matter whether you want to be white or black hat (e.g the good or the bad guy). You start from there, never the less. Networking and security is practically dominated by Linux (take it from a Windows fan), so you'll need to learn to use Linux, and learn it fully. Bash (command line) knowledge is imperative, as most tools in security are command line only. Backtrack 5 is an excellent distribution for this, the network security team at my university uses it.

Keep in mind that security is a really maths- heavy subject. If you can't handle maths, you might want to check out other areas, instead. Greetings.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1