8 Replies - 4372 Views - Last Post: 27 July 2012 - 09:54 AM

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Any QT programmers here?

Posted 22 July 2012 - 01:47 AM

Just wondered if there were any Qt users on this forum. I started learning Qt about a week ago (not actively, though. Mostly light reading between maths problems), because I just wanted some diversity in my Linux toolkit, and so far - I love it. Their signal slot mechanism has so many faces, it lets you actually work with it as you want, and isn't limiting in any way.

So, who else uses or is learning Qt? Free cookies!
Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Any QT programmers here?

• Born again Pastafarian.
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Any QT programmers here?

Posted 22 July 2012 - 01:39 PM

I have used Qt before, in fact, I became quite familiar with it. I doubt I could recall everything I learned though. Overall, I think Qt is good, but my criticism is that it tries to reinvent much of the C++ standard library. For example, instead of std::string, Qt implements QString. I see no reason for it, even if some may have a certain dislike for parts of the C++ standard library. I would go further to say that I believe Qt provides too much abstraction from the OS's API. Personally, when it comes to wrapper API's, I would take a minimalist approach, which is not Qt's approach.

On the bright side though, I think Qt does a great job given the circumstances. Wrappers for cross-platform GUI development is never going to be straight forward.

This post has been edited by Aphex19: 22 July 2012 - 01:46 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• member icon

• View blog

Posted 22 July 2012 - 01:58 PM

I think Qt is great. It's my goto framework when I have to do GUI things on Linux.
As an aside to Aphex19: I believe that Qt was originally designed as a mobile framework that would be the STL for that platform. I also prefer QtCore to the STL.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 23 July 2012 - 12:21 AM

I totally agree with the "too much reinvention". It's something that truly bugs me. But, there's a really good reason, and that is when QtCore was written, std::string didn't actually exist yet, and they needed a safe mechanism to do their own work. So, now they'd have to rewrite the entire Qt framework if they wanted to remove QString.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Code herder
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 23 July 2012 - 01:06 AM

What is the lineage of Qt?

As best as I can tell just doing some quick searches (and without crosschecking refererences), Qt was started in 1991 while STL was introduced(?) to ANSI/ISO in 1993 or 1994. So it pre-dates STL.

Spoiler

I too feel the frustration when it seems like the wheel has been reinvented again by yet another library. It's another API to learn (and master?). On the other hand, I'm glad that some wheel reinventions are better than others. It advances the state of art.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 23 July 2012 - 03:30 AM

Well, at least there are some parallels to draw between the QtCore and STL. Their iterators, for an example, are very STL-ish.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

Posted 27 July 2012 - 08:04 AM

Well I have been learning Qt for a month now , or something like that :)
I started to learn it because I needed to add a GUI for a console application and many reviews said that it is easy and logical , and so it is ^_^
Here is the application that I made, I know it's not optimized and has some lacks such as too much get/set use and things like that but the main purpose was to learn :)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 27 July 2012 - 09:03 AM

I don't recommend you leave your learning projects as prototypes. There's nothing wrong in prototyping, but it becomes a habit not to push yourself if you always leave them as such. :)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

Posted 27 July 2012 - 09:54 AM

I recently uploaded it and got some feedback on it :) So I will fix it asap :D And thank you for the heads up :D
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1