• +

44 Replies - 1384 Views - Last Post: 23 July 2012 - 07:35 PM

#1 no2pencil  Icon User is online

• Head MFIC
  • member icon

• View blog

Savannah Dietrich: Victim With A Voice

Posted 22 July 2012 - 06:41 PM

17-year-old sexual assault victim could face charges for tweeting names of attackers
Full Story

A Kentucky girl who was sexually assaulted could face contempt of court charges after she tweeted the names of her juvenile attackers.

Savannah Dietrich, the 17-year-old victim, was frustrated by a plea deal reached late last month by the two boys who assaulted her, and took to Twitter to expose them--violating a court order to keep their names confidential.

"There you go, lock me up," Dietrich tweeted after naming the perpetrators. "I'm not protecting anyone that made my life a living Hell." Her Twitter account has since been closed.

Attorneys for the attackers asked a Jefferson District Court judge to hold Dietrich in contempt for lashing out on Twitter. She could face up to 180 days in jail and a $500 fine if convicted. The boys have yet to be sentenced for the August 2011 attack.

"So many of my rights have been taken away by these boys," Dietrich told Louisville's Courier-Journal. "I'm at the point, that if I have to go to jail for my rights, I will do it. If they really feel it's necessary to throw me in jail for talking about what happened to me as opposed to throwing these boys in jail for what they did to me, then I don't understand justice."

Dietrich was assaulted by the pair after passing out at a party. They later shared photos of the assault with friends.

"For months, I cried myself to sleep," Dietrich said. "I couldn't go out in public places."

The two boys who were charged as juveniles accepted a plea deal for raping a passed out Savannah Dietrich which basically amounted to probation.

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Savannah Dietrich: Victim With A Voice

• g++ jameson.cpp -o beverage
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Savannah Dietrich: Victim With A Voice

Posted 22 July 2012 - 06:43 PM

There's no talking/jumping off point in your original post. ^^
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• "Hurry up and wait"
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 22 July 2012 - 06:45 PM

Seems anything goes if you are underage. This SHOULD really change. This is total BS. Your a juvie and do something, you name cannot be released? Plus your records get "cleaned" when you turn 18? Something is not right here.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#4 no2pencil  Icon User is online

• Head MFIC
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 22 July 2012 - 06:45 PM

It's jacked up man! She's going to get jail time? Two boys rape her, & get plea deals. Meanwhile her life is ruined, & they expect her to just up & move on? Instead, she's now the one facing jail time.

I too, don't see any justice in this. Why in America, should these two pieces of dog shit be protected? Hang these fuckers. I'll even hold the rope.

More & more in today's American Justice, the victim immediately loses rights, & the criminals immediately gain rights.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• g++ jameson.cpp -o beverage
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 22 July 2012 - 06:48 PM

I'm surprised they weren't charged as adults.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• holy shitin shishkebobs
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 22 July 2012 - 06:51 PM

POPULAR

They should have been charged as adults! If you're old enough to know how to rape her, you're old enough to know it was wrong. But I don't think they should be hanged or jailed. I think they should be castrated.
Was This Post Helpful? 9
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 22 July 2012 - 06:52 PM

You can bet, this will hit large media, at which point the basis of "confidentiallity" of criminals will be thrown out the window. She is excorsizing her right to free speech. Those two should have been tried and charged as adults. It was an adult crime, if she gets thrown in jail for this then there needs to be a major change up in our justice system.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 22 July 2012 - 07:16 PM

View PostBenignDesign, on 22 July 2012 - 08:51 PM, said:

I think they should be castrated.

meh not good enough for me. They've already used it once, and I don't like used things...
Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

• spelling expret
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 22 July 2012 - 07:50 PM

the issue here is that these kids were tried as minors on a rape case. minors shouldn't have their mistakes follow them but as B9 said, if you know how to rape someone and actually do it then you should be tried as an adult.

Seems anything goes if you are underage. This SHOULD really change. This is total BS. Your a juvie and do something, you name cannot be released? Plus your records get "cleaned" when you turn 18? Something is not right here.

no, nothing is wrong with how things are. what a stupid kid does when he's 13 or 14 shouldn't follow him for the rest of his life. a 17 year old committing such a heinous crime as rape isn't in the same case as a 16 year old smoking pot.

This post has been edited by ishkabible: 22 July 2012 - 08:08 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Addict
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 22 July 2012 - 09:33 PM

Personally, I think that such crimes should not be allowed to be subjected to plea deals. Why should we let someone plead to a lesser crime than what they had done. The District Attorney should also have to face charges for letting the plea go through.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Pancakes!
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 22 July 2012 - 10:27 PM

I have to think about why it is we got here. Is it because everyone in the justice system up to now has been corrupt or an idiot?
Or is it possible that there are good reasons for the decisions that have been made, and that these good reasons have consequences that we sometimes don't like?

Yes, it seems insane that a man can commit a rape and have his identity protected. However, we have protections for juvenile offenders for good reasons - if you want to change those, you should think about all of the cases, not just the one that's in front of you now.

The point I'm trying to get at here is that if "hard cases make bad law", emotionally gripping ones make absolutely terrible law. Everyone reading story is on Savannah Dietrich's side, and I'm no exception, but apparently she did knowingly break a law in revealing the names of these juvenile offenders. I'm not convinced that those laws are entirely wrong - for example, suppose you have a sixteen year old son, and he has sex with his fifteen year old girlfriend, and her parents don't approve. They go to the cops and eventually get him nailed (NPI) on statutory rape charges, which is possible depending on the jurisdiction you're in, and he is found guilty and sentenced as a juvenile. Now, so far we're within the bounds of the law, if not justice.

If those parents then violate the laws by publicizing his name, has your son got any recourse? If you're saying he should be protected, and these two rapists should not, then you're asking the law to use your personal feelings, or the judge's personal feelings, or someone's personal feelings to determine how a convicted perpertrator should be treated - in matters quite unrelated to the sentence which the law is allowed to hand down.

We can sentence someone to serve time in jail, we can fine them, we can take away their life, but we can't decide that because we're particularly upset about this particular crime, that we're going to sentence them to jail, and fine them, and violate the laws governing the treatment of juvenile offenders as well.

The point of laws is that you follow them, and if they're not right then you change them. You don't just make up new ones when you feel like it - that's not law at all.
Was This Post Helpful? 3
  • +
  • -

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 22 July 2012 - 10:34 PM

Curious question - did the girl's legal council try to lift the gag order?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#13 no2pencil  Icon User is online

• Head MFIC
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 22 July 2012 - 10:38 PM

@jon.kiparsky
My purpose to starting this topic is that I am incredibly outraged that a tweet carries a harsher crime than two youths sexually violating another youth.

The secrecy, or rather the forced animosity of two youth offenders is more important than not being sexually violated? That is fucked.

Yes, she knowingly broke the law. But you know what? I'd be hard pressed to believe that they didn't know violating her was breaking the law either. Yet their offense carries the ability to plea deal, hers does not.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Pancakes!
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 22 July 2012 - 10:40 PM

Interesting question. I tend to doubt it - it would be a pretty unusual move, I'd think, and would probably give the defense an interesting basis for appeal, on the grounds that the local courts showed extreme prejudice against the clients, and therefore they couldn't have gotten a fair trial - and all for no real benefit to their client.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Pancakes!
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 22 July 2012 - 10:53 PM

View Postno2pencil, on 23 July 2012 - 12:38 AM, said:

@jon.kiparsky
My purpose to starting this topic is that I am incredibly outraged that a tweet carries a harsher crime than two youths sexually violating another youth.

The secrecy, or rather the forced animosity of two youth offenders is more important than not being sexually violated? That is fucked.

Oh, I agree completely in that immediate reaction. However, I'm making some assumptions here, as I must do, not being on the scene.
One of those is that, all in all, that the case was prosecuted well and fairly. That is, that the result is the best possible result for the facts at hand, meaning the fairest outcome under local standards as expressed in local law. If this is not the case, then the problem is not with anything that happened after the case was prosecuted: the problem would then be in either local law or in the paucity of talent in the prosecution.

So either the rapists in the case got the correct sentence, or the local jurisdiction needs to correct the flaws that led to the incorrect sentence. At that point, their penalties are not germane to the case any more, are they? They were tried, legally (I presume) and sentenced correctly (I presume). Bringing them back around is the very essence of double jeopardy, which our legal system mostly rejects. (there is the matter of civil suits following criminal convictions)

So the question is, what is the correct penalty for violating the laws that Savannah Dietrich is charged under?
I don't know, honestly, what penalty I'd assign for it, but it's a lot easier case to try, and again, if those penalties are incorrect, they should be changed.

On reflection, I don't see that there is any benefit or clarity gained in comparing the two sentences.

Yes, she knowingly broke the law. But you know what? I'd be hard pressed to believe that they didn't know violating her was breaking the law either. Yet their offense carries the ability to plea deal, hers does not.

The possibility of plea bargain is a technical issue that I'm not competent to address. I'd imagine that no bargain was offered because it was a pretty clear case: she violated the law, as far as I can tell, she didn't have any basis to contest the charges, and there was no reason to offer her a lighter sentence in exchange for a confession.

That's the only reason I know of for plea bargains: to put criminals in jail when you couldn't otherwise be sure of convicting them.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• (3 Pages)
  • +