3 Replies - 447 Views - Last Post: 23 July 2012 - 04:26 AM Rate Topic: -----

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Do you feel this is an achiveable method to game writing

Posted 23 July 2012 - 01:04 AM

I am currently working on an MMORPG - and while I read the thing on this site that says this is an near unachievable goal without a large team.. I feel this is untrue - I do know that it will take a mind shattering amount of time and effort - however, I feel it may be possible. I wrote my "game" about 4 times so far, each time - getting more and more stream line and more easily understandable. Currently the engine correctly renders the window, Starts directx, has a class for 2d which can draw lines, text, and sprites <-Currently In Work (With handled device loss and reset), also has a timer class, and a hard-drive read write class.next I plan on adding basic 2d item functions next like textboxs (already have keyboard info), drop down boxs, buttons, and sliders. After that I plan on making a basic game loading screen (to load my textures, and whatnots ready), and adding internet socket communication controls (for login info and saved character data, and at some point MMOness). Then adding 3d commands - Im considering not using modeling software and instead sending the triangle strips to the Graphics card myself and I will then also retain a lot of control over the models vertex point data. After that its camera controls, physics, Lighting. Add interactive 3d models, and thats pretty much everything you need for a game ... or am I missing something. From my estimates it will take me about a year or 2 to have an engine that would be somewhat impressive.. and another year or so after that i feel my game will look pretty graphically nice if not exactly having a massive explorable landscape.

Experience: Started learning Programming in SCAR which is a form of Dephi 8 years ago. Learned VB 7 years ago, learned C++ 6 years ago, learned ASM, Packet (not really a language.. IDK what it would be called), PHP, and SQL 2-3 years ago.. Im not positive I will ever finish but does anyone see a real reason why this WONT work?

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Do you feel this is an achiveable method to game writing

• フカユ
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Do you feel this is an achiveable method to game writing

Posted 23 July 2012 - 01:13 AM

So what's your question? Everything that needs to be said about this has already been said. And since you have decided to ignore that advice and go ahead anyway it seems that we won't be able to say anything that will change your mind.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 23 July 2012 - 01:47 AM

A real reason why this WONT work?

Not being programmer, I'm not really in a position to tell you from a programming perspective. However, I think this is more a question about character than anything else.

If you're ready to; spend years pulling your hair out, getting wrinkles and grey hair from stress, get diminished social life, and working on the project though you absolutely loath to at the moment (which could end up being months). Then sure, go ahead. If not, well, then sure, go ahead anyway. I'm sure you'd learn a thing or two along the process. I don't see any reason why you shouldn't continue your work, it will only stimulate/create neurological connections which can be useful to you.

I'm betting you won't have a game ready within 3 years though.

This post has been edited by Lazy Vulpes: 23 July 2012 - 01:49 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Here to help.
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 23 July 2012 - 04:26 AM

I saw one that someone had put together using Torque 3D. Having the engine obviously put them several steps ahead, but - if you've worked with Torque - you know you've got to be pretty good with C++ and DirectX to get it to do anything substantial.

Anyway, it was a fairly simple MMORPG without a lot of content, but it worked. I don't know how much time they put into it and I don't think they had more than a couple people working on it (maybe even just one person).

It helps tremendously if you're willing to "dumb down" the requirements of the game. If you focus on making a game rather than making a better game than game XYZ, then it's a lot easier to succeed. For example, to produce something better than World of Warcraft you're going to need art work that's comparable. But are you an artist? Do you have a good artist working with you?

Of course, if you can get a working demo with substandard art work, you stand a much better chance of building a team and greatly increasing what can be done. Everyone likes to be part of a success. So, if you can make a playable and expandable game with very little content that's fun to play, I think it will greatly increase your chances of recruiting.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1