5 Replies - 724 Views - Last Post: 24 July 2012 - 07:48 AM Rate Topic: -----

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

3d Game Engine

Posted 23 July 2012 - 06:23 AM

I am in development of an MMORPG, can anyone tell me where to start? I want to make a game engine with Open GL, C++, PhysX, etc. How would I do this? I know basic C++, HTML, and Java.
Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: 3d Game Engine

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Re: 3d Game Engine

Posted 23 July 2012 - 06:34 AM

Why does it say I'm a D.I.C head!?!?!?!
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• using Caffeine;
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 23 July 2012 - 07:16 AM

There are pinned topics and announcements at the top of this forum that give advice on these things. I would say that you are biting off more than you can chew at the moment with the current skill set that you've listed. It is a lot of hard work to make a game and an MMO adds even more to it. So, I wouldn't suggest trying to create an MMO as your first project. The success rate of people making MMOs to the number of failures is extremely low, probably less than 1%. I won't say that it is impossible for you to make an MMO but I will say that it is extremely unlikely that you will finish this project. I'm sure that other members who read the game development forum will agree with me on this.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• Here to help.
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 23 July 2012 - 07:52 AM

SixOfEleven is absolutely correct. MMORPGs are not the place to start learning game programming.

The first step is to learn a programming language such as C# or C++. That means reading a book on the subject cover to cover and working through the examples in the book until you understand the language pretty well. Honestly, you may have to read a couple of books on the subject cover to cover before you really get it.

At that point, you'll have a better idea of where to "start" on your first game. It's best to think of how video games evolved during their history. First their was Pong. Then Break Out. Eventually, there was Tetris and games like Pac Man. Then there was Castle Wolfenstien where you had a simple "dungeon" and everything was very cubical. Eventually, you have first person shooters, and then you had EverQuest.

Quite frankly, you're probably going to have to pretty much go through that same evolution yourself in learning how to do it.

So, really, your first major goal should probably be to learn a language like C#. Then learn XNA, if you go the C# route. Then learn how to program Pong. Until you can do that, there's absolutely zero hope of being able to program an MMORPG.

You have to learn to crawl before you try and run a marathon.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover

• View blog

Posted 24 July 2012 - 06:50 AM

View PostLord_Artiman, on 23 July 2012 - 02:23 PM, said:

I am in development of an MMORPG, can anyone tell me where to start? I want to make a game engine with Open GL, C++, PhysX, etc. How would I do this? I know basic C++, HTML, and Java.

Lastly, by virtue of you asking where to start means that the game is not in development.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• XNArchitect
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 24 July 2012 - 07:48 AM

I hate to be a downer, but the likelihood of you actually completing an MMO, especially if you don't even know where to start, is effectively 0%. MMO's are developed by HUGE teams of people using massive budgets over a period of multiple years. For instance, Star Wars: The Old Republic, which just released this year, is reported to have taken 800+ developers, including voice actors, and marketing personnel, $200 million, over a period of roughly 6 years. Granted, this is a game much more advanced than most of the MMO's that have been developed over the last decade or so, but it might give you an idea of just how complex these types of games are and the requirements for development of said games. I'd take the advice of the others who have posted before me and start very small and work your way up.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1