3 Replies - 454 Views - Last Post: 23 July 2012 - 08:59 AM

• The Ninjaducky
  • member icon

• View blog

Confusing Website Structure - Joomla, Database, Sessions

Posted 23 July 2012 - 06:40 AM

Hey all,

I was hired this summer to rebuild my employer's website and to integrate a inventory database (MySQL) and an inventory management system. I have already done 3 of the 4 tasks I have needed to do which is to design the database, populate it, and design tools to manipulate it. The fourth part is a little harder.

My employer previously used Joomla to edit tables. When they'd sell something, they would log in manually and have to decrement the number manually. Now, they want to be able to make a shopping cart so that you can add things to cart and pay with paypal all in one step; however, I'd like to leave the Joomla intact, as I only have two weeks left, and I cannot spend it all working on a new site as well.

Can anybody give me some insight on how to approach this problem?

Thanks.

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Confusing Website Structure - Joomla, Database, Sessions

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Confusing Website Structure - Joomla, Database, Sessions

Posted 23 July 2012 - 08:22 AM

Joomla uses widgets, right? Like drupal and wordpress? I would figure you would make a shopping card widget that handles holding items.. displaying the cart content.. adding/decrementing quantities and checking out... it would (after checkout) shoot an update to the database to decrement the quantity of the items and add the order information to the table.. So you package that puppy up and then you can shoe horn that in to the site.. and a few tweaks to the existing joomla code to "add to cart" and it shoves an item number to the cart widget and you should be golden.

Of course depending on how much joomla widgetarie you might know could affect time tables..
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• The Ninjaducky
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 23 July 2012 - 08:56 AM

There lies the problem. I do not know Joomla AT ALL. I've never used it and now have to do this. :/
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 23 July 2012 - 08:59 AM

Ah.. well that blows.. if it's like drupal then it'll be a bit of "OMG! WTF? What fresh hell is this?!" and then you get some feet under you and it makes sense.

Ah... they are 'modules'.. lame.

Start where we all start - hello world:
http://docs.joomla.o..._for_Joomla_1.5

http://forum.joomla....pic.php?t=63383
http://www.joomlatut...e-a-module.html
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1