2 Replies - 2568 Views - Last Post: 23 July 2012 - 03:01 PM

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Cross Platform Iphone/Android App Development

Posted 23 July 2012 - 10:22 AM

Im very keen to start programming an application in mainly Iphone but possibly also Android.

They use differing programming languages and therefore I am told from friends and Googling that cross platform programming allows for one set of code to be used in various languages, therefore, the programmer doesnt necesserily have to program in that OS specific language.

What are the thoughts on cross platform programming - is it useful. Is it a preferred medium?
Should I program my iphone app in objective C (will require me to learn the language) or should i try a cross platform programming software and language?

Advantages and disadvantages from those with experience will be great!

Thanks!

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Cross Platform Iphone/Android App Development

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Re: Cross Platform Iphone/Android App Development

Posted 23 July 2012 - 11:18 AM

I would ask who your target audience is and go from there. If you want your app to run on Android, iPhone, etc.... I would choose something that is multi-platform. In general you're going to reach a larger audience that way anyway. If you're doing something that's specific to iPhone then obviously just go with learning that.

I've done both and personally I prefer to just wright code for the iPhone but that's just because I like the sdk. That doesn't mean you have to write strictly Objective-C. You can check out my game engine here if you're interested. For cross-platform on mobile devices you might want to checkout Corona. It provides you with a Lua scriptable engine for writing mobile apps. That's what I used for my cross-platform stuff and it's pretty good.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Re: Cross Platform Iphone/Android App Development

Posted 23 July 2012 - 03:01 PM

with cross platform programming I think that it depends on what you are doing. If you are just making an app that displays information then go for it, if you are making an app that actually does something (such as games)then it can be difficult
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1