3 Replies - 355 Views - Last Post: 23 July 2012 - 07:37 PM Rate Topic: -----

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Can I make animated models of specific guns?

Posted 23 July 2012 - 06:40 PM

I was wondering if I could make models of guns such as glocks, colts etc and use them commercially in my iPhone app, as long as I didn't show any text or logos on the gun showing its brand. Is the model of the gun copyrighted or something?
Also was wondering if you can use blender commercially.
Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Can I make animated models of specific guns?

• Toubabo Koomi
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Can I make animated models of specific guns?

Posted 23 July 2012 - 06:50 PM

I was wondering if you could type in the same font as everyone else, & not make your post look like ass.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 23 July 2012 - 07:10 PM

View Postno2pencil, on 23 July 2012 - 06:50 PM, said:

I was wondering if you could type in the same font as everyone else, & not make your post look like ass.

Sorry first post and didn't preview it
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Here to help.
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 23 July 2012 - 07:37 PM

That's a pretty good question. I'm no expert in copyright law and such. I'm not a lawyer. But I don't think any gun is "copy
right-ed". Usually they are patented which wouldn't apply. The logos, however are trademarked, and that could get you in trouble if they really wanted to come after you.

But so many people have done gun models that I can't imagine that even an exact replica in a 3D model could get you in trouble if there were no logos or markings to indicate a brand. Usually it's the brand name and trade marks that cause legal problems.

You would probably own legal copyright if you modeled it yourself and did the textures yourself.

Again, I'm no lawyer, but I think you're probably safe there as long as you're not using other people's work and calling it your own.

I'm pretty sure Blender is public software at this point. So, I'm pretty certain that you could use it commercially to your heart's content.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1