• +
  • « First

125 Replies - 13877 Views - Last Post: 11 October 2012 - 09:17 PM

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Books

Posted 10 August 2012 - 07:12 AM

No.. never read 'wheel of time'... what's the skinny on it?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• The Watcher Outside Your Window

• View blog

Posted 10 August 2012 - 07:25 AM

Well... The world was created by this dude called "The Creator" who is the God. Then there is this other dude called "Shai'tan" whose name must not be used. Shai'tan is the Creator's antithesis and solely exists to destroy. The Wheel of time weaves the 'pattern' which contains the fate of all people. There is no end to the WoT and the Dark sides aim is to destroy it. So every few thousand years, there will be mortal champions born for both the Light and the Dark sides and there will be huge wars. After this, the Age ends and a new Age begins. This time though, the Dark One/Shai'tan has found a way to finally destroy the Wheel of Time. Its almost the end of an Age and the Light's champion "The Dragon" is reborn. There are a whole lot of prophecies he needs to fulfill to signify his coming. Kinda like Jeebus. So the story is about 3 farmboys from a remote village who need to leave their homes to escape from the Dark One's minions as there is something important about them in the coming war.

That enough? Its amazing actually. I love it more than LoTR.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 10 August 2012 - 08:02 AM

Meh.. I'll throw it on the "one of these months" pile. It vaguely sounds like a stack of other books I've read..
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• serial frotteur - RUDEST MEMBER ON D.I.C.
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 10 August 2012 - 02:50 PM

View Poststrawhat89, on 10 August 2012 - 06:02 AM, said:

Has nobody read The Wheel of Time here? Nobody cares about January 8th, 2013?

just because someone hasn't mentioned a book in a six page thread does not mean no one read it.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• View blog

Posted 10 August 2012 - 07:19 PM

Its not just this thread. I have seen it mentioned in some pretty old ones, but never more than a post or two.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

Posted 18 August 2012 - 06:59 AM

Blue Mondays by Arnon Grunberg is an awesome book . However I just finished "Stones cry out" by Hikaru Okuizumi which is a mindf**k book and read 2/3 of "A fire upon the deep" (awesome SF book) by Vernor Vinge (which by the way used to be a programmer )

This post has been edited by TwoOfDiamonds: 18 August 2012 - 07:00 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• View blog

Posted 18 August 2012 - 07:41 AM

Finally found some time to read again. Reading "The Riyria Revelations" series. Finished the first two books and I'm loving the series so far... It has all the ingredients for my favorite word stew: fantasy.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

Posted 18 August 2012 - 07:53 AM

View Poststrawhat89, on 18 August 2012 - 05:41 PM, said:

Finally found some time to read again. Reading "The Riyria Revelations" series. Finished the first two books and I'm loving the series so far... It has all the ingredients for my favorite word stew: fantasy.

Well , if you like fantasy so much try read Licia Troisi's Chronicles of the Emerged World trilogy . It's the closest thing I read to fantasy . It feels a lot like WoW :)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• View blog

Posted 18 August 2012 - 10:08 AM

Hmmm.. Never heard of that one before. I'll check it out. Thanks.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Pancakes!
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 18 August 2012 - 02:21 PM

Just came to mind, some of the readers of this thread might enjoy the Engineer Trilogy, by, I think, K. J. Parker or something similar - it's a pseudonym.

The trilogy is interesting in that it deals with a pre-black powder level of technology, and no magic, with humans and earth-like animals, but in a non-earth setting. It's not fantasy in that no alternative physics (ie, magic) is proposed. It's science fiction, I guess, in that it postulates a change in technology, but it's a reversion, not a development, and it's not about the science, it's about the people - but one of the most interesting characters is an uber-engineer, so there's a lot for those of us interested in systems. Good writing, good plotting, a trilogy that's clearly imagined from the start as a trilogy and works both as three separate books and as one long book. Worth a look.

The first book, if I remember right, is called Devices and Desires.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• View blog

Posted 19 August 2012 - 02:23 AM

I have always wanted to read a book like that. So much that I even attempted writing one! Thanks.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 11 October 2012 - 09:43 AM

Stephenson's "ReamDe" was pretty fun. Long but fun. The ending blew a bit... sort of "oh shit this is getting long, I should wrap this up" sort of way. I have to say Zula was a solid heroine.

On a side note - I enjoy the oddities that goodreads.com brings. I didn't know a friend of mine was in to Stephenson, but I saw a review she put on it from a while back. Nifty!

Now on to "Aloha from Hell" - the third Sandman Slim novel!

Has any one read something decent in the last few months? It seems my "to read" list are of more obscure-ish books.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• The Noid
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 11 October 2012 - 11:19 AM

That reminds me of how Terry Goodkind ends his stories. He'll still be spinning seemingly-impossible obstacles for the protagonist with 10 pages left in the story. While he does always finish the story pretty neatly, after a few books it does seem to have that same "I should wrap this up" feel to it. I enjoyed the series, though: a bit like easy-to-consume television or movies. I finished his Sword of Truth series within the last few months, so I'm in the market for something new as well.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 11 October 2012 - 11:30 AM

Heh.. I haven't wandered into Goodkind's sphere for sometime. The verdict now, after hazily remembering a recommendation from a buddy, is: Glen Cook's Chronicles of the Black Company. He said the first three were great and the rest sucked.. thankfully b&n had the first three in one binding. Yeppie for me.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Pancakes!
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 11 October 2012 - 11:32 AM

View Postmodi123_1, on 11 October 2012 - 11:43 AM, said:

Stephenson's "ReamDe" was pretty fun. Long but fun. The ending blew a bit... sort of "oh shit this is getting long, I should wrap this up" sort of way. I have to say Zula was a solid heroine.

You mean it was a Stephenson novel? :)
Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

• (9 Pages)
  • +
  • « First