• +
  • « First

125 Replies - 14172 Views - Last Post: 11 October 2012 - 09:17 PM

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Books

Posted 11 October 2012 - 11:36 AM

Heh.. I didn't quite get the same feeling with 'Diamond Age', but yeah - you spin an epic-length yarn and it is bound to happen.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 11 October 2012 - 03:29 PM

I just got my copy of 'Player of Games' by Iain M Banks signed by the author at a book signing, so I thought I'd go ahead and read it. So far it's good.

I actually just finished a reread of The Diamond Age by Neal Stephenson, and I did like it, although I did also feel it dragged on somewhat. When I first read it (about 10 years ago) I thought it was great though.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• LIKE A BOSS
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 11 October 2012 - 08:43 PM

View Postjon.kiparsky, on 11 October 2012 - 02:32 PM, said:

View Postmodi123_1, on 11 October 2012 - 11:43 AM, said:

Stephenson's "ReamDe" was pretty fun. Long but fun. The ending blew a bit... sort of "oh shit this is getting long, I should wrap this up" sort of way. I have to say Zula was a solid heroine.

You mean it was a Stephenson novel? :)

That was my first thought haha.

I've been reading "Daemon" by Daniel Suarez. It's been pretty enjoyable so far, and I'm about halfway through. I also picked up "The Fractal Prince," a sequel to the interesting book I read last year called "Quantam Thief" that had some interesting concepts of systems, computing, and security.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Pancakes!
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 11 October 2012 - 09:03 PM

I should say, I love Stephenson's writing and his ideas, and I've read just about everything he's published - but he's never been very good at ending a book gracefully. Snow Crash was the worst - the best of the book was in the delivery scene, and after that it sort of floundered for a couple hundred pages. By Cryptonomicon he was able to get to the last chapter before he just sort of ended it, and that's where he's been ever since. But it's cool - if you give me nine hundred pages of "holy crap, this is excellent", I'm okay with a weak ending.

Banks is also excellent. I started reading him a few years ago, and so far I'm always impressed. I've read most of the Culture novels and two of his "non- M." books as well, and there's a lot to like there.

Haven't been reading a lot of fiction lately, but I'm reading a biography of Hugh Trevor-Roper right now, and it's very interesting. The last really impressive piece of fiction I've read was "A Fine Balance", which is fairly brutal and very well done. The subject matter is India in the Emergency, which is something we hear very little about in the States, and while it shouldn't be the only thing you know about India, it's certainly not something to forget. It's interesting to compare it to Tamima Anam's relatively recent treatment of the same period, "A Golden Age". They're very different books, but I'm sure there are a lot of stories to tell there.
There's also an Indian film which sets a classic doomed love story in the partition, which I remember enjoying but I can't recall much about it. Like, for example, the name or the cast.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Perfectly Squared ;)
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 11 October 2012 - 09:14 PM

Sidney Sheldon anyone? It has probably got the best of mystery,intrigue and of course...sex ;) :wank:

This post has been edited by raghav.naganathan: 11 October 2012 - 09:15 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Pancakes!
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 11 October 2012 - 09:17 PM

POPULAR

I doubt very much whether the best of sex is to be found in a book.
Was This Post Helpful? 5
  • +
  • -

• (9 Pages)
  • +
  • « First