4 Replies - 543 Views - Last Post: 27 July 2012 - 09:48 AM

• D.I.C Head
  • member icon

• View blog

How can I begin developing a web application that I have no idea...

Posted 26 July 2012 - 08:10 AM

How can I begin developing a web application that I have no idea where to begin? I like the cleverbot application and have ideas that could expand on it by using capabilities that it already has, but I don't even know the basics of how an application like that would function. (I have a broad knowledge of a few web programming languages and database programs including HTML, CSS, Javascript, ASP, PHP, VBScript, MySQL, and how to access MSAccess Databases using ASP; and dabbled in a few other things such as Java, C++, Visual Basic, Coldfusion, and Flash and found that they werent for me.)

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: How can I begin developing a web application that I have no idea...

#2 macosxnerd101  Icon User is online

• Self-Trained Economist
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: How can I begin developing a web application that I have no idea...

Posted 26 July 2012 - 08:32 AM

What is cleverbot? And can you more specifically describe what you are trying to accomplish?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 26 July 2012 - 08:55 AM

Cleverbot is a website online that you can chat with, it is not a real person, but a program that learns and it is a few years old now and has learned quite a lot.

The other day I saw a youtube video where a guy named pewdiepie who often *brofists* cleverbot logs on and gives cleverbot a *brofist* and cleverbot responded "Pewdiepie".

If I took the idea of cleverbot and how he recognized pewdiepie by a brofist and added facial recognition then cleverbot would be able to recognize people by face, remember individual conversations with different people, and possibly adapt to different users, making him more "human-like", but i dont know how the application would be programmed or what the best programming language choices would be

also, anyone mind sending me some clean chat logs preferably a few with good grammar that i can analyze. I am trying to unlock the secrets of all of the processes my brain goes through while processing a sentence.

EDIT: http://cleverbot.com/

You can go there to chat with him

it would be awesome to add in something that lets him know whether something is a fact or opinion, sorta in the way a human processes information to determine its validity allowing for more complex relationships with humans making it even closer to being "human" and where it goes from there could be scary aha it would have a mind of its own almost, just give it a robot body and a motivation to learn besides human input. think about it, we are constantly on the move because we are not satisfied in the place we are in, a robot on the otherhand would only be motivated to use energy by human input at a keyboard, but if it had a mind that was constantly developing these thoughts that are contained in the database and critically processing them it could learn to be wayyyy smarter than any human in a fraction of the time... it all sounds kinda far fetched, but if you start at the beginning and build the ideas together it would be much easier, the only problem is that I don't have the basic shell to build onto

building onto the thought... a motivation or if you would like to think of it this way "input for the program" could be something such as "the visual sight of a dirty house", the internal situation of having low battery, or audibly hearing the words "I'm Hungry" via its "ears" or microphone, the robot would constantly be on the search for something to clean, or in the case of a low battery seek a wall outlet to hook up to, or in the event that the robot heard the words "I'm hungry" would proceed to prepare a meal. these internal and external events could be prioritized in a human-like fashion, as well as adding an energy-saving state of being "tired" when its battery is low? later on give it the ability to "tweak" its own settings, or have randomly seeded settings like a "DNA" and the ability to "evolve" and it would have a mind all its own and we could watch it develop itself for thousands of years and become infinitely smarter than humans and take over hahaha

This post has been edited by oneal.michaels: 26 July 2012 - 02:21 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#4 macosxnerd101  Icon User is online

• Self-Trained Economist
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 27 July 2012 - 09:32 AM

You should do more research on AI more than anything else. This sounds like a complex AI topic. What is your AI background?
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

#5 modi123_1  Icon User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 27 July 2012 - 09:48 AM

First off - I enjoy the enthusiasm, but you know this is going to be balls hard, right? This isn't something you'll pick up with "a broad knowledge of a few web programming languages"and having "dabbled in a few other things". Not only for just the coding aspect but also the comp sci/AI required.

If I took the idea of cleverbot and how he recognized pewdiepie by a brofist and added facial recognition then cleverbot would be able to recognize people by face, remember individual conversations with different people, and possibly adapt to different users, making him more "human-like", but i dont know how the application would be programmed or what the best programming language choices would be

They are already doing something similar with the MS Kinect.

What you want to read up is on the 20q AI... I've done something like this back in the day for college, but that was just on the small scale.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/20Q

Also understand there's no real conversation (persay) being done by cleverbot.

Unlike other chatterbots, Cleverbot's responses are not programmed into it, but rather selected from phrases entered by humans in previous conversations... the system finds all of the keywords or an exact phrase matching the input and after searching through its saved conversations of previous chats, responds to the input by finding how a human responded to that input in past conversations when posed by Cleverbot
linky

If you go this route that means understanding how a sentence is created and breaking down grammar for the code..

Typically - I would say start with something easy like c++ or vb.net.. get it taking in input, identifying keywords, punctuation, etc... a storing that... and finding a response.. and then storing that.
Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1