12 Replies - 685 Views - Last Post: 27 July 2012 - 06:26 AM

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Apple Refurbished products, worth it?

Posted 26 July 2012 - 09:07 AM

I'm thinking of buying an iMac 27inch from their refurbished store, but the word 'refurbished' has such negative connotations I'm kind of reluctant to get one.

Has anybody here bought one? I'd love to hear about the experience and how well your refurbished unit is doing after the initial 2 month scare.
Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Apple Refurbished products, worth it?

#2 lordofduct  Icon User is online

• I'm a cheeseburger
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Apple Refurbished products, worth it?

Posted 26 July 2012 - 09:36 AM

I never bought a refurb Apple... but for that sake the only Apple I ever bought was a used one on ebay to give it a try... and I did not like their OS at all, and haven't looked back since. So that's the only reason I haven't tried their refurb store.

In the case of other refurbs... I've had good luck.

My current laptop is an Asus refurb. It works very nicely.

In my office we have mostly refurb Dells. They all work generally well too. And they come with warranties and all that sort.

I've also used several other refurbs of computer components and game-consoles and generally had similar luck to that of new products.

If the refurb comes with some kind of warranty, may it even be short, I say go for it. Really most problems I've ever had with computers either happen in the first month, or 5 years later... warranties seldom last 5 years, so if they cover you for the first month, you're pretty good to go.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover

• View blog

Posted 26 July 2012 - 09:56 AM

I am not much of an apple fan but I have bought refurb stuff before and some was good and some was bad
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Pythoneer
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 26 July 2012 - 09:59 AM

Rick Broida writes the cheapskate blog and admittedly, I'm kind of a fan. He claims that with apple, you should always buy refurbs. Link!
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• serial frotteur - RUDEST MEMBER ON D.I.C.
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 26 July 2012 - 12:30 PM

i've bought plenty of refurbs (never an apple computer, but ipods, as well as computers from other manufacturers)

mostly they are held to the same standards, anything that's not, usually cosmetic damage, should be listed up front. i'd recommend purchasing refurbs for the most part.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Toubabo Koomi
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 26 July 2012 - 12:41 PM

Legally they must stamp opened (open box, not always open equipment) products as 'refurbished'. It doesn't always mean that there was an issue. Also, just because something isn't marked as 'refurbished' doesn't mean that there isn't an issue, it just means it wasn't worked on.

As previously stated, if it's sold by whatever retail facility, even though it is refurbished, it will still be upheld by their standards of equipment usage & failure return policy.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• The Noid
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 26 July 2012 - 12:49 PM

I've owned plenty of refurbished electronic devices. The only difference that I personally have experienced between the two is that after buying a refurb, I have more money to spend on other shit than I would have had I paid full price for a new one. I once bought a used HP from Fry's, and even after buying the super-ultra-mega 5 year warranty, I still paid hundreds of dollars less than I would have for a new one with the same specs and only the shitty manufacturer's warranty.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Gentleman of Leisure
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 26 July 2012 - 01:21 PM

View PostSergio Tapia, on 26 July 2012 - 12:07 PM, said:

I'm thinking of buying an iMac 27inch from their refurbished store, but the word 'refurbished' has such negative connotations I'm kind of reluctant to get one.

Has anybody here bought one? I'd love to hear about the experience and how well your refurbished unit is doing after the initial 2 month scare.

If I recall you hate Linux, my guess is you will not be pleased with Apple either.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 26 July 2012 - 07:35 PM

I don't hate Linux anymore. I finally grokked it this week if you can believe that. Hell, I even tried installing a Desktop manager on my Ubuntu 12.04 Server machine and uninstalled it almost immediately because I've grown used to the terminal. Getting a job working with PHP and Linux servers really opened my eyes and I'm really amazed at how much I was missing out of.

I've been using a 21'' iMac at work for the past week and I really enjoy using the Mac OS. It may be the absolutely gorgeous monitor luring me away. That's why I asked about refurbished, I might buy one.

This post has been edited by Sergio Tapia: 26 July 2012 - 07:38 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• Gentleman of Leisure
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 26 July 2012 - 07:36 PM

Good to see you come around, there is much power to be had in the terminal, although I moved on from PHP to Ruby - seemed like the right thing to do :)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Monomania
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 26 July 2012 - 08:05 PM

I got a refurb but not through buying an Apple thing.

My friend has an iPod Nano 4gb 1st gen and he sold it to me for really cheap. I bought it from him for around 14 dollars of US money. What he didn't tell me was that even if you charge it a whole day and it says it's fully charged, if you press a button, the battery will sink faster than the Titanic. How fast? Less than 30 clicks, and... you're out. No matter how long you charged, if you click it, battery goes empty. If you didn't click it, and just set it to play random, it lasts 1 hour and 30 minutes. I'm a big music guy, so I just stuck up to it, because it's the first time I owned 4 gig of music storage and awesome audio quality.

Then one day, came a news from Apple. They're recalling iPod Nano's that may or may not have defective battery, and in return they'll replace it with a refurbished iPod Nano 6g with a whopping 8 gig of storage. I sent mine, got one within a month, and from what I can tell, the thing has no problems. The thing usually lasts me 2 days, I always listen to full volume, and it looks as good as new. It came on just a plastic though, and no extra accessories were given, but the refurbished thing they gave me now gives me pure bliss every day in ear damaging levels of bliss.

Yeah, try a refurb, I think Apple's good with this things. Plus, to paraphrase Moss from The IT Crowd, you live the ultimate dream:

"I might be able to get an iPhone without giving money to Apple - I'll be living the Dream!"

This time, you'll still feel good because you'll be paying them... for less. Dream's still on! ^^
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover

• View blog

Posted 26 July 2012 - 08:40 PM

I can corroborate the quality of them, my father particularly swears by them. The only thing is that any possible resale value takes a hit, if that matters to you.

eidt: spelling

This post has been edited by Choscura: 26 July 2012 - 08:42 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#13 jon.kiparsky  Icon User is online

• Pancakes!
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 27 July 2012 - 06:26 AM

POPULAR

View PostChoscura, on 26 July 2012 - 10:40 PM, said:

eidt: spelling

This makes me happy.
Was This Post Helpful? 7
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1