2 Replies - 905 Views - Last Post: 26 July 2012 - 06:59 PM

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Essential reading?

Posted 26 July 2012 - 11:30 AM

Hi everyone!
This is my first time posting, and I tried to find a similar thread before doing so to avoid clutter, but I didn't find anything that completely answered my question, so I apologize if there are already similar threads that I missed.

I'm in the process of upgrading some of my high school courses so that I can apply to a college IT program next year with a concentration in programming. During my year of upgrading I was hoping to get on top of some essential reading and make sure I'm prepared for the work ahead. That's where I need help. I'll link the webpage of the college courses that will be included in my program and hopefully some helpful people out there can give me a list of essential books a budding programmer should be reading. So here we go. Thanks in advance!

First year: http://nscc.ca/learn...G&pln=IT-NOCONC
Second year: http://nscc.ca/learn...&pln=IT-PROGRAM

Also, I've already ordered Java, A Beginner's Guide 5th ed. by Herbert Schildt from Amazon. Just awaiting its arrival.

If any one cares to give their opinion of whether this college program's material seems like a good or bad choice for someone trying to get a job in a programming field I'd appreciate that feedback as well.

Sorry for all the questions, just want to make sure I'm doing this right! :helpsmilie:

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Essential reading?

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Essential reading?

Posted 26 July 2012 - 01:44 PM

Don't mean to be a DIC, but there are tons of pages covering introductory programming books. Everyone has their opinion, so there's really no way to go wrong. Just choose one. Make sure you read the Amazon reviews and do some research on the book you're thinking of choosing. Here are a few other good resources in case you don't find them:

Software Design and CS
Free CS-related books
Single Most Influential Book Every Programmer Should Read
Developing the Programmer Mindset
If you could have one book....
Senior, Post-graduate reading

Coding
Definitive C++ Book List
Definitive C Book List
Best Java Resources

You should be just fine reading the book recommended on the course syllabus.

This post has been edited by blackcompe: 26 July 2012 - 01:50 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

Re: Essential reading?

Posted 26 July 2012 - 06:59 PM

Cracking the Coding Interview: 150 Programming Questions and Solutions

Code Complete: A Practical Handbook of Software Construction

Clean Code: A Handbook of Agile Software Craftsmanship

The Google Resume: How to Prepare for a Career and Land a Job at Apple, Microsoft, Google, or any Top Tech Company

On my cart right now. :shuriken:
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1