3 Replies - 1860 Views - Last Post: 16 August 2012 - 01:48 PM

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

Software Advice

Posted 26 July 2012 - 03:03 PM

First off I would like to appologize to admin if this post is in the wrong spot and/or not acceptable on the fourms.
Second I am not seeking anycode, just some advice cuz my buddy google has not turned up what I am looking for.
What I am looking for is some software that will block internet downloads on Lan. (exsample I have 3 computers on the network, IP'S of 192.168.2.2,
192.168.3, and 192.168.2.4. I want to block 192.168.2.4 from downloading but still what that computer to be able to surf. While the other 2 computer
are allowed to do the full internet function. Also I am looking for a easy program to where I can share files over the network. Yes I am aware
that windows has there own little home network thing going on, but I not able to get all computer to join the network. I even made sure that they
were all sync'd with windows.time.com and that did not help.

If you know of any such software, or have any ideas on what I need to search for (obviously I am wording my searches wrong) PLEASE let me know.
I would also like the software to be free if at all possible. I have Cisco's Network Magic but every now and again it would tell me that
the computer was not on the network or my firewall was blocking the program even though it was allowed through on all the computers. I did
like that program very much, it just to be a big hassle when I was not able to connect to my shared files on a different computer.

Thany you very much in advance.

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Software Advice

#2 GunnerInc  Icon User is online

• "Hurry up and wait"
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Software Advice

Posted 26 July 2012 - 04:15 PM

Moved to Networking & Wireless
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Pragmatism over Dogma
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 27 July 2012 - 05:14 PM

Something like this is beyond your current capability from what you've posted.

If you want a computer to be blocked from downloading, that would mean that it can no longer surf. What you want is a way to clock certain extensions from being downloaded. In this case you would need a firewall on your network to route the traffic based upon its extension. Using a machine with OpenBSD and PF will accomplish this.

You would need 2 machines (virtual or physical) to implement this set up. One would need to have an OpenLDAP/Kerberos/Samba for network authentication(Unix), or Active Directory (Windows Server.)

What you're asking for is a complete network system, and in order to implement it you will need some serious base knowledge to implement a system that will work, and work well.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 16 August 2012 - 01:48 PM

This configuration will disable the capability (Windows Internet explorer only) to download files from the internet. You will need to edit the registry editor (regedit) to accomplish this.

Steps
To change the settings, perform the following:
1. Open the registry editor (regedit) by clicking START menu, click on RUN, then type regedit to open the registry editor.
2. locate the following:
User Key: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Current Version\Internet Settings\Zones\3
System Key: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Current Version\Internet Settings\Zones\3
Value Name: 1803
Data Type: REG_DWORD
Value Data: (change it to 0 to enable, 3 to disable)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1