Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover

• View blog

Re: Movies you should avoid

Posted 27 July 2012 - 07:18 PM

View Postbaavgai, on 27 July 2012 - 05:39 PM, said:

No doubt stupid. But then, most movies of that ilk are. Obviously, the more attached you are to some element in the story, like the aproriated culture, the worse it is. Thanks for "sexpat." Frankly, the only Americans I've known that visit Thailand are gay guys. Every culture has overly simplistic assumptions about every other one...

I can't really say it's attachment, because as much as I bitch about cultural stuff here, I do even more of it about Thai culture in real life. But without any cultural consideration, if you're going to portray something, it's going to look stupid if you get it too far from the mark, no matter what it is. The really hilarious stuff they got wrong is the sexpat bars (see spoiler), but it's far from the only thing (eg, hiring a hitman here to assassinate someone the way Cage does in the movie costs between 500-700 USD, generally).

There are a lot of gay guys who retire here or come and visit regularly too, and it's good- they're the best tourists! - because even though there is technically a lot of straight -> gay discrimination here when you look at laws and so on, the culture here kind of laughs at the western discrimination against gays, especially the part with a religious basis, as something from 'that primitive new cult with the guy who got killed by a lower-case "t" ' (keeping in mind that Buddha sat under his tree 543 years before Jesus got nailed to his).

Spoiler

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Pythoneer
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 27 July 2012 - 11:53 PM

View PostSlice, on 27 July 2012 - 10:28 AM, said:

Nacho Libre just came to mind when thinking about films I couldn't sit through.

Oh Nacho Libre... it will always have a special place in my heart. Not because it's good mind you, but because it helped me survive.

I found myself in a West Virginia cabin stuck in a blizzard. internet and cable relied on satellite, so that was out of the question. The house only had 1 piece of reading material, a sports magazine that had been left beside the toilet.... I remember that there was a feature story about the Williams Sisters in it. Whoever had been at the house before me had cleaned the dvd collection out. After a little searching, I found 1 dvd that had been left in a small tv with a built in DVD player: Nacho Libre.

I was stuck in that situation for 3 days. Just the magazine and the DVD to pass the time. So, I watched Nacho Libre... continuously. It's amazing how little sleep you need in that situation. After about 2 days of watching jack black's dumbassery, I began to convince myself the movie was good. I started laughing at the jokes, truly believing there was some sort of underlying brilliance in the film. It takes about 30 views, total acceptance that this could be the last movie you see before death's sweet release, and a minor amount of hysteria... but when you get to that point, it's pretty watchable.

EDIT:
So bad movies, how about any movie where Eddie Murphy plays more than 1 part? (excluding Coming to America... maybe?)

EDIT 2:
Also, anything conforming to: [A-Za-z]+ movie( [0-9]+)?

This post has been edited by atraub: 28 July 2012 - 12:20 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 4
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 28 July 2012 - 02:48 AM

View PostBenignDesign, on 27 July 2012 - 06:20 PM, said:

Episode 1 was okay. Yeah, Jar Jar sucked, but overall not a bad starter movie to get kids into Star Wars.

I FUCKING LOVE HARRY POTTER. Haters gonna hate.

But Casablanca blows. So does Attack of the Killer Tomatoes. And Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind. And that one with Bill Murray where he's on a submarine. And Batman and Robin.

Haters gonna hate indeed, how can you hate The Life Aquatic (the one with Bull Murray on the submarine)? It's such a charming film, one of my all time favourites! <3

"I've never seen so many electric jellyfish in all my life!"

Brilliant! :hehe:

Eternal Sunshine is great too!

I 100% agree with you on the Batman & Robin though *shudder* that movie was truly awful.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Born again Pastafarian.
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 28 July 2012 - 07:05 AM

The Amazing Spiderman. I can't stand what they did to Spiderman, Andrew Garfield was just terrible in my opinion.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Gentleman of Leisure
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 28 July 2012 - 07:19 AM

The Life Aquatic was hard to watch, I couldn't even finish it. Also Lost in Translation.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 28 July 2012 - 08:26 AM

Jack and Jill was painful to watch. Also I would avoid The Last Airbender and Dragon Ball, it ruined the animated series.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 28 July 2012 - 05:48 PM

I believe Blindness should be on this list
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Isn't a volcano just an angry hill?
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 29 July 2012 - 03:54 PM

Me and my family watched that newer Green Lantern movie and it was one of the most poorly written movies I've ever seen.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• The Watcher Outside Your Window

• View blog

Posted 29 July 2012 - 10:24 PM

I can't believe I forgot Jack and Jill. Wait I can. Dunkaccino? Seriously? It managed to ruin Al Pacino!

Also haters of Batman & Robin check out The Nostalgia Critic's review of the movie on Youtube.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Dreaming Coder
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 30 July 2012 - 04:30 AM

I don't know if any else has even seen this movie Eye of the Beholder. It is on the top of my worst films I've ever seen list. It actually has a recognizable cast, which I guess is the first fake out. I can't tell you what it's about, because it doesn't really know what it's about. I watched it to the end, thinking it might eventually figure out its point and let me in on it. No such luck. Has anyone else experienced this thing?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• holy shitin shishkebobs
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 30 July 2012 - 06:12 AM

Posted Image

This. [Click the link. Read the synopses.]

The original release included a blood bag attached to the front of the video box. It's supposed to be a horror film, but it's not scary. Though I did have dreams afterward about one of those inbred albino things as Quasimodo.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#74 DarenR  Icon User is online

• D.I.C Lover

• View blog

Posted 30 July 2012 - 06:38 AM

cat people

Attached image(s)

• Attached Image

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Dreaming Coder
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 30 July 2012 - 06:41 AM

I was about to say I love Rutger Hauer! But, I have to tell you, Hobo with a Shotgun is definitely on this list. Stupid, extra gory in that "little kids making a horror movie" kind of way, and just sorry all around.

We should give a shout out to Uwe Boll, I think. His "career" is infamous in it's epic fail. You have to admire his tenacity, I suppose, but I don't really understand why anyone would work with him. He must either have lots of incriminating photographs or is a scientologist...

To be fair, I enjoyed Uwe's stinker, BloodRayne. Some of the cast are surprising for something this bad, which actually makes it interesting.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• (8 Pages)
  • +
  • « First
  • Last »