1 Replies - 3785 Views - Last Post: 31 July 2012 - 01:50 PM

• Monomania
  • member icon

• View blog

Deployment Horror Stories

Posted 27 July 2012 - 02:37 AM

Hey there, do you have any deployment horror story to tell? Be it caused by your own stupidity, or just by fate? We all know that simple things could spell disaster on deployments.

Example: We were going to conduct testing then 5 minutes before that thing I just suddenly had a Eureka moment. I forgot to move the class files and moved only source code. What change will we see on the deployment? None. I got a good sermon. :(

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Deployment Horror Stories

• D.I.C Lover

• View blog

Re: Deployment Horror Stories

Posted 31 July 2012 - 01:50 PM

Was given the task of modifying an Access Database Application that is on 2 stand-alone desktop computers used for about 2 weeks every year to log/manipulate data for all campers/visitor permits issued.

This year I upgraded the Database from 2003 to 2007, did several other changes, some minor, some not so minor. About 3 days before the systems were needed to leave for the on-site set-up, I was finally told where these two systems were, and sent to test. ORIGINALLY, I was informed they were loaded with Windows 7, just like my development PC... NOT! Windows XP. Everything worked fine on Windows 7, but since I was using ADO Connections and trying to put the newly upgraded 2007 version on the XP Systems, I ran into trouble. With Windows Vista/7, Microsoft stopped naturally supporting ADO connections, thus, while everything worked PERFECTLY on Windows 7, much of the main functionality simply would not work on XP. Also I was really only given 2 days to fix the problem, as I was set for annual leave that Friday. :whistling:

End of the day, I said best bet would be to upgrade to Windows7 (of course, paperwork can't get pushed through in just a few days). While I was gone though, apparently someone figured out on the XP systems they were referencing older libraries. Once they went from 2.1 to 2.8, everything was well and good and I could enjoy my Jet Ski with no remorse :gunsmilie:

Probably not my worst horror story, but definitely my most recent headache.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1