3 Replies - 937 Views - Last Post: 27 July 2012 - 07:01 PM

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Internships, which is better, general knowledge or specific knowledge?

Posted 27 July 2012 - 04:54 PM

So I am planning to look for an internship next summer and I was wondering which would be a better approach. I know C++ and x86 Assembly. This summer I studied DirectX Graphics API for C++ (with 3 game demos coded) and I just finished XHTML/CSS (with 1 website in progress). I plan on studying another topic and I am not sure which would be better.

If I take the C# and XNA after route, then I would have a wider variety of knowledge but less of a specific expertise in anything. I would be unable to apply for the web development internships because most require Javascript/AJAX, but would be able to apply for C# jobs(still might not even be considered because I would not be experienced enough)

or I can study Javascript and have more of a chance at obtaining the web development internships. This path would remove the C# internship choices. I plan on making my web portfolio either while learning C# or after learning javascript.

Thanks for your input in advance.

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Internships, which is better, general knowledge or specific knowledge?

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Internships, which is better, general knowledge or specific knowledge?

Posted 27 July 2012 - 05:29 PM

What's wrong with making your own life choices? I would study the internships in your area and tailor your skills towards that..

You seem to be making games - well is that something you want to do or do you want to work in a corporate world? What about web design? Is that where you want to go?

C#? Oh yeah.. because ASP.NET doesn't use javascript or ajax either *WHILE* picking up some C#. Figure out what sort of internship you want and just go for it.. stop trying to hedge your bets on it..
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 27 July 2012 - 06:38 PM

I am capable of making my own life choices but I just wanted input on which decision would benefit me most. Game development would be my dream job. Web design is kind of what I decided to pick up on to make my portfolio, although from the little experience I have creating a website, I wouldn't mind doing that also. What does your C# comment imply? Sorry I can't really understand what you are getting at.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

Posted 27 July 2012 - 07:01 PM

This is a good question. I started wondering the same thing when I realized how broad CS field actually is. I wanted to do computational physics at first, but since I'm interested in so many other things, I gave up the idea of specializing while in college. So at the moment I'm learning about as much technology as I can and applying to all sorts of internships. I don't know if this is good or bad, though, so let's see what others say.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1