5 Replies - 10544 Views - Last Post: 30 July 2012 - 03:58 AM Rate Topic: -----

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Wanting to make a browser based game

Posted 28 July 2012 - 11:13 PM

So im new to game development. Eventually want to make high end games like Call of duty and Skyrim once i start and finish college and get my bachelors in Game Development. So i wanted a head start before i get into college. Im going to start making browser based games like ones found on ArmorGames.com and Kongegate. What languages so i need to learn to make these games as well as what programs are needed to create them. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Wanting to make a browser based game

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Wanting to make a browser based game

Posted 29 July 2012 - 01:15 AM

All web development is based on HTML, CSS and Javascript. If you want to create browser-based games, those are the languages you need to learn. There aren't really any programs you "need" for that, other than a basic text-editor (Notepad++ is a popular choice), but once you start creating large projects you can usually benefit from using an IDE. Some popular choices in that area are Aptana, Netbeans and Adobe Dreamweaver. (The first two are free, while Dremaweaver is expensive.)

Another strategy for creating browser-based games is to use Flash. Once upon a time that was really the only sane choice, but these days Javascript can in many ways replace Flash. However if you are serious about browser based game development, you should at least look into Flash. - The Adobe Flash IDE is also expensive, but it provides a lot of graphics related features that can be useful. It's not necessary though, if you don't mind doing the graphics work in other tools and integrating them into your games through code. (That's not a bad skill to develop, by the way, if you plan on a career in game development.)

O, by the way, you may also want to look into server-side languages like PHP or ASP.NET. Those will be necessary if you plan on adding server-side capabilities, like the ability to save scores.

This post has been edited by Atli: 29 July 2012 - 01:17 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• フカユ
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 29 July 2012 - 06:12 AM

Flash is still a really great tool for making games especially now you can use the GPU for flash player 11. There are tons of frameworks that can help as well (I recommend the starling framework). Most (if not all) of the games on armour games and kongregate were developed using flash.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 29 July 2012 - 07:17 AM

So i should make it using Flash, HTML, CSS, And Javascript to make them?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• フカユ
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 29 July 2012 - 08:27 AM

Well if you choose flash you won't need to bother with the rest.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 30 July 2012 - 03:58 AM

A little tip: Unity3D lets you make anything from pong to pretty cool FPS games (depending on the kind of graphics you can make). The newer versions can also build to Flash :-)

If you decide to try Unity, you'll need to learn either C# or Unity's version of Javascript (or Boo, but that's not very well documented).
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1