1 Replies - 389 Views - Last Post: 29 July 2012 - 07:08 AM

• D.I.C Addict

• View blog

hostname - confused

Posted 29 July 2012 - 04:12 AM

Hi,

I am using Plesk control panel on my website and every night it tries to uupdate itself and fails and then crashes completely and I have to reboot the server and flush the iptables just to be able to get into it.

When I look at the error log, part of it says:

Warning: Host name check failed.
Can't detect host 94-76-241-19.static.as29550.net IPv4/IPv6 addresses: Name or service not known

And I also get errors about the hostname when trying to run the update manually.

However, I'm a little confused as to what I actually want to change the hostname...to.

I thought it was supposed to be the domain, so when I run hostname in terminal, it's currently set to: the-reborn.com (that's the domain of my main website on it).

When I go to: /etc/resolv.conf

This is what is in there (I haven't touched this):

domain as29550.net
search as29550.net
nameserver 217.112.87.147
nameserver 217.112.88.10
nameserver 217.112.88.90

And when I go to /etc/hostname there's nothing in that file.

Additionally, If I go to /etc/sysconfig/network I changed the hostname in here the other day, so it now reads:

HOSTNAME=the-reborn.com
NETWORKING=yes

So my question is this... What should the hostname...actually be? (I've googled for this several times but cannot find any actual answers). And which of these locations do I need to change it in?

FYI: I'm using CentOs 5

Thank you!

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: hostname - confused

• .. does not guess solutions
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: hostname - confused

Posted 29 July 2012 - 07:08 AM

I believe this is not about the actual computer's hostname, but the reverse DNS on your IP (assuming your server's IP Address is 94.76.241.19).

Depending on where you bought this server from, it should be very easy to configure reverse DNS on that IP to point to a valid hostname (which in turn points to an A record of the reverse DNS hostname and resolves it back to the IP).

So, if 94.76.241.19's reverse DNS is server1.the-reborn.com, you should have a corresponding A record for server1.the-reborn.com that points to 94.76.241.19.

All that said, that probably isn't your problem. Also, when it comes to choosing what your hostname is, it doesn't matter, it doesn't even need to resolve. I normally go for serverX.domain.com, or give my servers a nickname.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1