• +
  • Last »

45 Replies - 4873 Views - Last Post: 06 August 2012 - 10:03 AM

• D.I.C Addict

• View blog

Programmers sought for tropical hackathon

Posted 29 July 2012 - 04:17 AM

http://www.bbc.co.uk...nology-19018930

Wanted: 12 programmers to live on a remote tropical island for two months to do nothing but write code.

Applicants are being sought for the coding jamboree that will take place on an as yet un-named island.

Those applying will have to submit a proposal explaining what they will work on during the hackathon.

Posted Image

They will also have to complete a psychological evaluation to show they can live in harmony with other coders for the duration of the event.

"I lived with a few people in Alaska working on a project and that was an amazing experience," said Walter Heck, organiser of the Come Hack With US hackathon. "Why can we not recreate that experience in a tropical and remote location so we can really focus on our projects?"

Those attending would have all cooking and cleaning taken care of so they can concentrate on the code, he told the BBC. Mr Heck is currently looking for sponsors to help shoulder the cost of supporting the cost of feeding the coders during the hackathon.
'Serious' project

Successful applicants will be expected to make their own way to the island and pay a small fee to attend.

"It's a submission fee that's largely symbolic," he said. "It's to keep away the people that are planning to party all the time or are not serious about their project."

"That could be really detrimental to the atmosphere," he said.

The projects that people will work on would be matched to the skills of those attending to ensure good progress was made on all of them, said Mr Heck.

Mr Heck, who is currently based in the Kuala Lumpur, said there were lots of islands in the Philippines that were potential candidates for the coding get together. Although remote, the islands had good power supplies and were connected to the mainland via microwave links.
Continue reading the main story

Start Quote

If you look at some of the bigger companies of the last few years like Facebook they just came out of one idea and they've changed the way we live and work”
Walter Heck, organiser

Reaction to the idea had been swift and positive, Mr Heck told the BBC. More than 4,000 people had showed an interest within hours of the advert going on the Y Combinator tech news site, he said.

"Some of the bigger blue chip companies do this already with their top employees on a smaller scale," said Niall Cook, head of recruitment at hiring agency Computer People.

Retreats and other getaways had become a staple among firms that wanted to get staff focussing on new ideas rather than taking care of day-to-day business, he said.

He had no doubt that the isolation of the hackathon would boost the creativity of anyone taking part.

"If you look at some of the bigger companies of the last few years like Facebook they just came out of one idea and they've changed the way we live and work," he said.

"Without think tanks and the like nothing new would emerge," he said. "Whether putting 12 people on a tropical island is the way you get the best out of people I'm not sure.

"We won't know until they've done it," he said.

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 4
  • +

Replies To: Programmers sought for tropical hackathon

• sudo pacman -S moneyz

• View blog

Re: Programmers sought for tropical hackathon

Posted 29 July 2012 - 04:24 AM

Yeah this looks pretty awesome. It would be awesome to see a DIC-head get in on this.

Those applying will have to submit a proposal explaining what they will work on during the hackathon.

It'd be interesting to see what some folks come up with for this. Do you go stupidly creative and risk failure?

This post has been edited by Slice: 29 July 2012 - 04:24 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 29 July 2012 - 04:28 AM

View PostSlice, on 29 July 2012 - 11:24 AM, said:

Do you go stupidly creative and risk failure?

I would. Victory or death! B)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Pythoneer
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 29 July 2012 - 08:53 AM

I just need to come up with something worth working on for two months.

This post has been edited by atraub: 29 July 2012 - 08:54 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover

• View blog

Posted 29 July 2012 - 10:43 AM

I wonder if this is happening here. Or in the Phil- it kind of looks like that, the islands here are generally too craggy and mountainy.

But that is a good idea. I have a hunch that this kind of thing is going to become really common in the future (because my first thought was "I could put this together in three weeks and get x / y / z built for a profit and split it among everybody and still have a decent profit for everyone", and I know I'm not the only one who's dumb enough to think of this, arrogant enough to think he can pull it off easily, and familiar with a tropical country where this could be done cheaply).
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• The Watcher Outside Your Window

• View blog

Posted 29 July 2012 - 10:01 PM

Sounds like a setting for Lost. Dharma Initiative anyone?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#7 modi123_1  Icon User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 29 July 2012 - 10:15 PM

Why waste the time on an island? You might as well just throw it in a converted industrial loft and the amenities will be used about the same.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover

• View blog

Posted 29 July 2012 - 11:13 PM

POPULAR

Show me a converted industrial loft with a tropical beach and we'll talk.
Was This Post Helpful? 5
  • +
  • -

#9 jon.kiparsky  Icon User is online

• Pancakes!
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 30 July 2012 - 12:01 AM

"It's to keep away the people that are planning to party all the time or are not serious about their project."

Anybody who goes to a tropical island to write code is missing the point at least once.

Come on, sand in your keyboard, trying to write code on a laptop in the glaring sun, corrosive salt atmosphere, distracting pretty girls, dodgy internet connections, distracting waiters with distracting free drinks? Especially the distracting waiters who are also distracting pretty girls? Come on, really? Some of you find this tempting?
Was This Post Helpful? 3
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 30 July 2012 - 12:05 AM

It does make more sense to lock yourself up in an office building for two months to code, and then go to the tropical island.
Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

• The Watcher Outside Your Window

• View blog

Posted 30 July 2012 - 12:08 AM

I don't see pretty girls mentioned anywhere... Also what if there are no free drinks, only enough food to keep you alive and old prehistoric looking men and women to do the cooking and cleaning? Though sand in the keyboard is a serious problem.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• sudo pacman -S moneyz

• View blog

Posted 30 July 2012 - 05:56 AM

View Poststrawhat89, on 30 July 2012 - 08:08 AM, said:

Though sand in the keyboard is a serious problem.

Unless they provide you with equipment, and the equipment includes some of these bad boys.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#13 jon.kiparsky  Icon User is online

• Pancakes!
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 30 July 2012 - 06:51 AM

View Poststrawhat89, on 30 July 2012 - 02:08 AM, said:

I don't see pretty girls mentioned anywhere... Also what if there are no free drinks, only enough food to keep you alive and old prehistoric looking men and women to do the cooking and cleaning? Though sand in the keyboard is a serious problem.

If there aren't pretty girls and drinks, it's not a tropical island, it's a desert in the middle of the ocean - which is even worse than a regular desert!
Was This Post Helpful? 3
  • +
  • -

#14 modi123_1  Icon User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 30 July 2012 - 09:27 AM

@chuck - what's up with that image.. it's not working/broken/or being blocked..
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Saucy!
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 30 July 2012 - 10:38 AM

Chuck's an image spammer. It's an image with a redirect.

Ban hammer...EXECUTE!
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• (4 Pages)
  • +
  • Last »