• (4 Pages)
  • +

45 Replies - 5289 Views - Last Post: 06 August 2012 - 10:03 AM

• Programming Theoretician
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Programmers sought for tropical hackathon

Posted 30 July 2012 - 11:07 AM

I wonder what the Internet speeds are like out there. I would imagine it is either satellite or some kind of slow dial up. What good is two months on an island if it takes one month waiting for connections to resources?

:)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover

• View blog

Posted 30 July 2012 - 06:27 PM

I bet the internet would be something like 3g, although if this hackathon can be done for a profit and / or the guy who's running it owns the island, I'd be surprised if he didn't get at least a T-1 line put in.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Pancakes!
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 30 July 2012 - 06:55 PM

I bet the "hackathon" turns out to be an evil coding camp where they take your passport and your shoes and chain you to a laptop and whip you if you don't turn out the required number of LOCs per day.
Why else would they want you on a desert island in the middle of a sea full of sharks and giant squids and stuff?

And the really evil thing? What you're working on is a game called "Escape From the Island of Dr. Code!" - where you're an innocent hacker who foolishly enters a "hackathon/vacation" on a "tropical island", and winds up chained to a laptop, getting whipped for not generating the required lines of code...
Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

#19 modi123_1  Icon User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 30 July 2012 - 10:11 PM

Smells like Antitrust.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Pancakes!
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 30 July 2012 - 10:15 PM

Let me guess - the one in the sweater is the good girl programmer and the one in the bare shoulders is the bad girl programmer?
And the one in the middle is the bad boy actor?

Got it.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• serial frotteur - RUDEST MEMBER ON D.I.C.
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 30 July 2012 - 10:35 PM

hahahah you thought a movie had two girls who could program.
Was This Post Helpful? 3
  • +
  • -

• Pancakes!
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 30 July 2012 - 10:39 PM

Ha, yeah. There's egg on my face.

I'd assumed it would at least rise to that degree of cliche.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover

• View blog

Posted 31 July 2012 - 04:38 AM

If this turns out to be a scam, my idea of doing the same kind of thing for 6 weeks at a beach-front resort near Hua Hin is either going to look incredibly legit and awesome in comparison, or else it will remind everybody of that news clipping about 12 floating bodies found amid a flotilla of keyboard keys and broken plastic.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• Isn't a volcano just an angry hill?
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 31 July 2012 - 07:08 PM

Also, how DO you put a bunch of working programmers on an island and expect them not to kill each other?

This post has been edited by WolfCoder: 31 July 2012 - 07:08 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• The Watcher Outside Your Window

• View blog

Posted 31 July 2012 - 09:22 PM

Maybe that's what HACKathon refers to?

Twelve programmers. One island. A game of Hackathon assassin. Last man standing gets the prize. THE PRIZE.

This post has been edited by strawhat89: 31 July 2012 - 09:30 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Isn't a volcano just an angry hill?
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 01 August 2012 - 06:03 PM

It's the most dangerous game.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Pancakes!
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 01 August 2012 - 06:22 PM

No, that'll be larn. Do you know how many hours larn can suck out of your life?

Hunting humans for sport is child's play in comparison.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover

• View blog

Posted 02 August 2012 - 11:28 AM

Since this isn't serious enough (yet) to start a new thread about, I've got a few questions for the people here who would be interested in doing a tropical hack-a-thon.

Basic model is 6 weeks, cooperating on some project that can possibly be launched as a business and turn a profit, and that profit gets split among participants according to contribution. Everything else is up in the air, including later participation in the business by anybody- there's the option to do a project and sell it to some other company or whatever.

Island, beach, countryside, city, mountains? Where would you want to spend it, considering it's all tropical and exotic?

Have everybody stay in one house (or one area) or get some kind of work space and have separate housing for everybody?

What would stop you from doing it if you wanted to do it- money? time? medical condition? family, work, or other commitments?

Bring your own hardware, or have something supplied here? Computers are expensive here because of import taxes, but all peripherals and input/output devices here are really cheap; so bringing the core components of the machine you'd want, with things like fans and heat syncs taken off for transport and PSU's left at home, would be the most practical bet, but it's far from the only option.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#29 modi123_1  Icon User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 02 August 2012 - 11:47 AM

Island, beach, countryside, city, mountains? Where would you want to spend it, considering it's all tropical and exotic?

Beach or mountains.. preferably not humid.. temperate. With at least one potential cryptozoid in the area. Some interesting landmarks and sights to be scene.

Have everybody stay in one house (or one area) or get some kind of work space and have separate housing for everybody?

I am always a big fan of work is for work.. living is for living.. but that could just be a nifty two story giant loft divided up.

What would stop you from doing it if you wanted to do it- money? time? medical condition? family, work, or other commitments?

Yes.

Bring your own hardware, or have something supplied here? Computers are expensive here because of import taxes, but all peripherals and input/output devices here are really cheap; so bringing the core components of the machine you'd want, with things like fans and heat syncs taken off for transport and PSU's left at home, would be the most practical bet, but it's far from the only option.

I figure people in general would bring their own laptops but desktop setups (with backup bits) would be provided as well as setup in some sort of uniform manner.. this cuts down on people unable to connect, deal with uncertain power situations, etc.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Pythoneer
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 02 August 2012 - 02:50 PM

My gripe is with "split based on contribution". How is that measured? Lines of code? Hours of commitment? Or a subjective decision by the guy holding the cash?

Island would be awesome, but internet access could prove troublesome. I'll go where the booze goes.

So long as people can conform to some standard for hygiene, both personal and with living spaces, living communally should be fine.

None, except maybe previous commitments.

Tough one. My desktop is huge and my laptop is tiny, so neither are really conducive to this, but I'm sure if it was a byopc, people could make it work.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• (4 Pages)
  • +