Which language fits me ?

• (2 Pages)
  • +

20 Replies - 4235 Views - Last Post: 10 August 2012 - 01:30 PM Rate Topic: -----

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Which language fits me ?

Posted 09 August 2012 - 07:45 PM

I know it has been 10 days or so, but I'll chime in anyway! It really depends on what platforms you want to target. My current preferences are Windows, the Web, and Android, which are the three largest platforms in the marketplace, so Java is the logical choice for me. Later, if you make somethign worthwhile and want to port it to the Xbox 360, it wouuld be relatively easy to move from Java to c#/XNA.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 10 August 2012 - 11:42 AM

View Postfarrell2k, on 09 August 2012 - 07:45 PM, said:

I know it has been 10 days or so, but I'll chime in anyway! It really depends on what platforms you want to target. My current preferences are Windows, the Web, and Android, which are the three largest platforms in the marketplace, so Java is the logical choice for me. Later, if you make somethign worthwhile and want to port it to the Xbox 360, it wouuld be relatively easy to move from Java to c#/XNA.

Yeah, the last 10 days i have been doing a lot of java and python actually. And I have learned more than i can really imagen.

But I'm starting to question java as the syntax is a living hell. Because It's so annoying. But i like the python one. And the C++ Syntax. I know that the porting of program's is not a real issue. Java is Compile once and run anywhere. Python is more a problem for that as it need python to be installed to be running (I know of Py2Exe, But I'm a Python 3.2 User) And C++ And be runned on any platform using like wine.

So that's not the problem. The only reason I'm doing Java at the moment is because i want to port it to my phone in the future maybe. But we'll see. I like Python a lot, I'm very interested in C++ at the moment. It dose feel like i want em all hehe.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 10 August 2012 - 12:27 PM

Python is good to know, whether you want to use it for games or not. It's great for those quick little scripts for making common tasks easier, it's very cross-platform, and I've yet to experience any trouble installing it anywhere. Hopefully, someone will make a py2exe for Python 3 eventually.

C++ can not only run on Linux using Wine, it can be compiled on Linux (but then you need to make sure you have no OS-specific code, or make different versions of some things, like creating and managing windows). It's ugly and pretty complex, but if you know what you're doing, you can write more efficient programs (that requires expertise, though).

Meh, I'd say go with whatever language sparks your interest the most. Once you learn one OO language, you can learn another.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 10 August 2012 - 12:59 PM

View PostTayacan, on 10 August 2012 - 12:27 PM, said:

Python is good to know, whether you want to use it for games or not. It's great for those quick little scripts for making common tasks easier, it's very cross-platform, and I've yet to experience any trouble installing it anywhere. Hopefully, someone will make a py2exe for Python 3 eventually.

C++ can not only run on Linux using Wine, it can be compiled on Linux (but then you need to make sure you have no OS-specific code, or make different versions of some things, like creating and managing windows). It's ugly and pretty complex, but if you know what you're doing, you can write more efficient programs (that requires expertise, though).

Meh, I'd say go with whatever language sparks your interest the most. Once you learn one OO language, you can learn another.

Yeah i DO reallly wanna learn CPP, but I'm to afraid of it being to hard.. I have done java in like a week now. And i know more then i thought i would learn in one week. So i do feel that i could pickup the C++ Language.

Only thing that is bothering me with Python is that it do not have Switch Function.. Which is a living hell haha.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 10 August 2012 - 01:09 PM

View PostMiikalsen, on 10 August 2012 - 07:59 PM, said:

Only thing that is bothering me with Python is that it do not have Switch Function.. Which is a living hell haha.

Really? I've never even thought about this, it's not something I ever needed in Python... I googled a bit and found an article which describes how you can do similar stuff.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 10 August 2012 - 01:30 PM

View PostTayacan, on 10 August 2012 - 01:09 PM, said:

View PostMiikalsen, on 10 August 2012 - 07:59 PM, said:

Really? I've never even thought about this, it's not something I ever needed in Python... I googled a bit and found an article which describes how you can do similar stuff.

That was interesting.

Also one thing regarding CPP.

If i was to learn CPP for creating games. How would i know that I'm at a state where i should start learning about creating games throught a library like SDL or something like that ?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• (2 Pages)
  • +