where to start 4 c++ game engine....

  • (2 Pages)
  • +
  • 1
  • 2

17 Replies - 3275 Views - Last Post: 14 August 2012 - 09:11 AM Rate Topic: -----

#1 PsycheSmartGames  Icon User is offline

  • New D.I.C Head

Reputation: -3
  • View blog
  • Posts: 6
  • Joined: 30-July 12

where to start 4 c++ game engine....

Posted 30 July 2012 - 04:51 PM

Ok hello my Name is Craig Joseph Jr Im a Game developer and c++ coder well im on my way not in school currently driveing tords Developing Sharp and exciting Video games, I do have a company were called "Pysche Smart Games".... well can anyone tell me where to begin when wanting to develop a c++ game engine? what will be needed any good books or online places i should go, also if you gonna say something that won't help out dont bother ok thanks....Also I allready got full outlines of my charecters drawn up and levels ready to be made all i need is a game engine to do everything else well isnt that right???? ummm i do not want to use someone else's game engine thats not how i do my OWN work any ways I inspire to be the best there is and i am lookin to build a team for my company Pysche Smart Games so feel free to ask to join but The company will actually start after i develop my first game which is called well its a secret dont want anyone to steal my idea well thanks and take care... :bananaman:

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: where to start 4 c++ game engine....

#2 macosxnerd101  Icon User is online

  • Self-Trained Economist
  • member icon




Reputation: 10461
  • View blog
  • Posts: 38,755
  • Joined: 27-December 08

Re: where to start 4 c++ game engine....

Posted 30 July 2012 - 05:10 PM

What is your skillset with C++ then? Any graphics experience? How well-versed are you with physics, calculus, and linear algebra?

Quote

ummm i do not want to use someone else's game engine thats not how i do my OWN work any ways

Developing a game takes a lot of effort- months at the very least of teams of people working on it. Developing a game engine, then developing a game could double your development time. It's one thing if this is a learning exercise. If you are actually trying to get an industry-level game published, you may want to reconsider this. There are numerous difficulties in getting a game published- don't add to them.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#3 PsycheSmartGames  Icon User is offline

  • New D.I.C Head

Reputation: -3
  • View blog
  • Posts: 6
  • Joined: 30-July 12

Re: where to start 4 c++ game engine....

Posted 30 July 2012 - 05:24 PM

View Postmacosxnerd101, on 30 July 2012 - 05:10 PM, said:

What is your skillset with C++ then? Any graphics experience? How well-versed are you with physics, calculus, and linear algebra?

Quote

ummm i do not want to use someone else's game engine thats not how i do my OWN work any ways

Developing a game takes a lot of effort- months at the very least of teams of people working on it. Developing a game engine, then developing a game could double your development time. It's one thing if this is a learning exercise. If you are actually trying to get an industry-level game published, you may want to reconsider this. There are numerous difficulties in getting a game published- don't add to them.



not trying to be smart a but i dont think like most of you guys i have plenty of time on my hands to do this didnt i say i have a company this is something i do for a living so i hope that helps the game engine will be signed to my company all im askin is where to start for a game engine and then im starting on it wheather it takes 3 or 5 yrs its something i wanna do thanks...
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#4 Skydiver  Icon User is online

  • Code herder
  • member icon

Reputation: 3548
  • View blog
  • Posts: 10,986
  • Joined: 05-May 12

Re: where to start 4 c++ game engine....

Posted 30 July 2012 - 05:35 PM

What is the driving need to develop your own game engine?

Are you hoping to sell or license the game engine and that will be your main profit center? Or is shipping and selling your game is just a way of marketing the game engine? If people buy your game, then that's just extra gravy but the reason for the existence of the company?

Or is the need to develop the game engine a way of establishing a showpiece for your resume, so that when the game company goes under, you've got something to tell your next employer or next venture capitalist?

You have to decide: are you there for the love of the game, or for the love of the technology behind the game? If you are there for the technology, do you really need an entire game company and going through the travails of shipping a game? If you are there for the love of the game, isn't getting the story of the game more important than whether it's your game engine or somebody else's?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#5 macosxnerd101  Icon User is online

  • Self-Trained Economist
  • member icon




Reputation: 10461
  • View blog
  • Posts: 38,755
  • Joined: 27-December 08

Re: where to start 4 c++ game engine....

Posted 30 July 2012 - 05:41 PM

Quote

didnt i say i have a company


Quote

I do have a company were called "Pysche Smart Games" ... The company will actually start after i develop my first game

Unless the company exists as a legal entity, I would say you don't.

And you never answered my questions. I'm trying to get a better feel for where you are as a programmer to point you to better resources. Though honestly you probably won't find a "build your own game engine" tutorial to cover everything you'd need.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#6 Atli  Icon User is online

  • D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

Reputation: 3717
  • View blog
  • Posts: 5,979
  • Joined: 08-June 10

Re: where to start 4 c++ game engine....

Posted 30 July 2012 - 06:55 PM

One thing I'd point out. The ability to communicate clearly is essential to being a part of, or running, a team of developers, or a company of developers. That appears to be something you may want to work on a little bit. - Even if English isn't your first language, I'm pretty sure the basic grammar is at least very similar to Italian.
Was This Post Helpful? 3
  • +
  • -

#7 Skydiver  Icon User is online

  • Code herder
  • member icon

Reputation: 3548
  • View blog
  • Posts: 10,986
  • Joined: 05-May 12

Re: where to start 4 c++ game engine....

Posted 30 July 2012 - 06:59 PM

View PostAtli, on 30 July 2012 - 06:55 PM, said:

One thing I'd point out. The ability to communicate clearly is essential to being a part of, or running, a team of developers, or a company of developers. That appears to be something you may want to work on a little bit. - Even if English isn't your first language, I'm pretty sure the basic grammar is at least very similar to Italian.


:lol: I think he mistakenly picked Vatican City as his country, because he is actually in Virgina (sic) according to his profile. And yes, VA, is the 2 letter state code for the state of Virginia in the United States.

This post has been edited by Skydiver: 30 July 2012 - 07:00 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#8 Atli  Icon User is online

  • D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

Reputation: 3717
  • View blog
  • Posts: 5,979
  • Joined: 08-June 10

Re: where to start 4 c++ game engine....

Posted 30 July 2012 - 07:15 PM

O, I see :D
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#9 JackOfAllTrades  Icon User is offline

  • Saucy!
  • member icon

Reputation: 6057
  • View blog
  • Posts: 23,494
  • Joined: 23-August 08

Re: where to start 4 c++ game engine....

Posted 31 July 2012 - 06:37 AM

View PostSkydiver, on 30 July 2012 - 09:59 PM, said:

View PostAtli, on 30 July 2012 - 06:55 PM, said:

One thing I'd point out. The ability to communicate clearly is essential to being a part of, or running, a team of developers, or a company of developers. That appears to be something you may want to work on a little bit. - Even if English isn't your first language, I'm pretty sure the basic grammar is at least very similar to Italian.


:lol: I think he mistakenly picked Vatican City as his country, because he is actually in Virgina (sic) according to his profile. And yes, VA, is the 2 letter state code for the state of Virginia in the United States.


Which really makes it all the sadder, doesn't it?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#10 PsycheSmartGames  Icon User is offline

  • New D.I.C Head

Reputation: -3
  • View blog
  • Posts: 6
  • Joined: 30-July 12

Re: where to start 4 c++ game engine....

Posted 31 July 2012 - 08:26 AM

View PostSkydiver, on 30 July 2012 - 05:35 PM, said:

What is the driving need to develop your own game engine?

Are you hoping to sell or license the game engine and that will be your main profit center? Or is shipping and selling your game is just a way of marketing the game engine? If people buy your game, then that's just extra gravy but the reason for the existence of the company?

Or is the need to develop the game engine a way of establishing a showpiece for your resume, so that when the game company goes under, you've got something to tell your next employer or next venture capitalist?

You have to decide: are you there for the love of the game, or for the love of the technology behind the game? If you are there for the technology, do you really need an entire game company and going through the travails of shipping a game? If you are there for the love of the game, isn't getting the story of the game more important than whether it's your game engine or somebody else's?


I hope to answer all of your questions today and every other day its very important we valudate eachother accordingly with our questions cause we dont have anyone else we should all be in this together the gameing community needs some love anyways, my drive is the love for games tech, and bussniess, ive only been programming for a year but ne ways ive noticed you gotts buy a book on specific programming needs you want and i have a book call c++ programming visual quiuck start guied by Larry ullman and andreas signer.. its nice so far i havent been all the way through it but so far so good not sure if there gonna tell me about game engines but they dont do you perfer me to go all the way through it so i will be better with strings, classes, varibles, and etc...obviously i will, i m hopeing to sell my game engine just for about 1o bucks or either free since i really wanna help out the community but i need funds to survive thats the down part sucks,the company isnt license yet how would i do that? and dose it cost ah arm and a leg? i really wanna build a 5 person team, but i also wanna have a game developed on my own so i can get exsperience...

YOU=Or is the need to develop the game engine a way of establishing a showpiece for your resume, me= correct....
with these other game engines some of them dont have the functions i need to do what i want or either i just dont understand... i think building a game engine my self will be more better for my future projects cause now game developing is my life i mean it im not in school any more i dont have a jod this is my dream job so yeah i just wanna be able to do my own things and have my own technologies.... did i leave any un answerd questions out... ummm to the other guy the things you mentiond am i good at i still need work done but i wanna start by programming a game engine well im gonna get a book on it well i seen a book for begging opengl and i know thats a graphics libary which you will need for your game engine am i right? but i hope to do all of this in c++....well thanks again.... hope you guys dont have trials n tribulations like me please dont let me down lift me up were all friends now....

craig joseph jr
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#11 PsycheSmartGames  Icon User is offline

  • New D.I.C Head

Reputation: -3
  • View blog
  • Posts: 6
  • Joined: 30-July 12

Re: where to start 4 c++ game engine....

Posted 31 July 2012 - 08:46 AM

reffrence for my topic and question ive been doin some research and i heard its better to have a game when your developing a game engine so you know exzactly what functions youll need and to also leave the game engine code open so when your makein another game in the future you can add on more functions that you might not have i think ill do it that way now is that possible just sayin cause it sounds to good to be true but i feel it is so any suggestions for me can someone name some functions that a game engine might have for there game like iss this one controller functions? such as movement options run jump kick cast ah spell ect....
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#12 macosxnerd101  Icon User is online

  • Self-Trained Economist
  • member icon




Reputation: 10461
  • View blog
  • Posts: 38,755
  • Joined: 27-December 08

Re: where to start 4 c++ game engine....

Posted 31 July 2012 - 08:51 AM

Quote

reffrence for my topic and question ive been doin some research and i heard its better to have a game when your developing a game engine

Can you cite your sources?

Quote

i m hopeing to sell my game engine just for about 1o bucks or either free since i really wanna help out the community but i need funds to survive

How much business experience do you have? The way startups generally work is that the owners fund themselves, or they seek outside investors like angels, venture capitalists, etc. Do you have a business model or business plan of any sort? If you want to start your own game firm, you need to be a little more business savvy about it. Not to be rude, but it looks like you're twenty-something learning C++ in your mother's basement.

Quote

ummm to the other guy the things you mentiond am i good at i still need work done but i wanna start by programming a game engine well im gonna get a book on it well i seen a book for begging opengl and i know thats a graphics libary which you will need for your game engine am i right?

It's a graphics library you can use, sure. Like I said above, I highly doubt you'll be able to find a tutorial on making a game engine for your every specific need.

Also, please make some effort to communicate with proper grammar and English. I don't mean to be rude, but your posts sound like a thirteen year old girl rambling about the newest Justin Beiber album.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#13 PsycheSmartGames  Icon User is offline

  • New D.I.C Head

Reputation: -3
  • View blog
  • Posts: 6
  • Joined: 30-July 12

Re: where to start 4 c++ game engine....

Posted 31 July 2012 - 08:59 AM

View Postmacosxnerd101, on 31 July 2012 - 08:51 AM, said:

Quote

reffrence for my topic and question ive been doin some research and i heard its better to have a game when your developing a game engine

Can you cite your sources?

Quote

i m hopeing to sell my game engine just for about 1o bucks or either free since i really wanna help out the community but i need funds to survive

How much business experience do you have? The way startups generally work is that the owners fund themselves, or they seek outside investors like angels, venture capitalists, etc. Do you have a business model or business plan of any sort? If you want to start your own game firm, you need to be a little more business savvy about it. Not to be rude, but it looks like you're twenty-something learning C++ in your mother's basement.

Quote

ummm to the other guy the things you mentiond am i good at i still need work done but i wanna start by programming a game engine well im gonna get a book on it well i seen a book for begging opengl and i know thats a graphics libary which you will need for your game engine am i right?

It's a graphics library you can use, sure. Like I said above, I highly doubt you'll be able to find a tutorial on making a game engine for your every specific need.

Also, please make some effort to communicate with proper grammar and English. I don't mean to be rude, but your posts sound like a thirteen year old girl rambling about the newest Justin Beiber album.


Sorry if you dont like as long as u understood my question dosent take a rocket scientist now dose it...i dont have time to reply what ppl want from me ill just say as i learned in technology school "wusiwug" what you see is what you get...learned that from my computer teacher haha...
hes great
Was This Post Helpful? -3
  • +
  • -

#14 macosxnerd101  Icon User is online

  • Self-Trained Economist
  • member icon




Reputation: 10461
  • View blog
  • Posts: 38,755
  • Joined: 27-December 08

Re: where to start 4 c++ game engine....

Posted 31 July 2012 - 09:01 AM

The point I'm making is that it is sometimes difficult to decipher your question because of your poor grammar and run-on sentences. If you want to make it in the professional world, you'll have to learn how to communicate with people on the level beyond a thirteen year old girl.

Quote

i dont have time to reply what ppl want from me

Yet you're asking us to reply with things that will help you achieve what you want. Surely the irony is not lost on you.
Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

#15 Skydiver  Icon User is online

  • Code herder
  • member icon

Reputation: 3548
  • View blog
  • Posts: 10,986
  • Joined: 05-May 12

Re: where to start 4 c++ game engine....

Posted 31 July 2012 - 12:58 PM

View PostPsycheSmartGames, on 31 July 2012 - 08:26 AM, said:

i m hopeing to sell my game engine just for about 1o bucks or either free since i really wanna help out the community but i need funds to survive thats the down part sucks,the company isnt license yet how would i do that? and dose it cost ah arm and a leg?


Took me a while to decipher that and figure out where one sentence ended and the next one started. Anyway, Virginia state is actually very helpful about giving businesses all the information they need not only in the decision process of starting a business, but about the realities of starting, and owning one. There is a ton of information here: http://portal.virgin...g/before_start/

You must have done some Google searches if you were really interested in starting your own business. The link I found was near the top of the list. If you missed that, I'm wondering what else you missed when you were researching game engine design.

This post has been edited by Skydiver: 31 July 2012 - 01:02 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

  • (2 Pages)
  • +
  • 1
  • 2