Where to start?

Page 1 of 1

2 Replies - 525 Views - Last Post: 31 July 2012 - 09:25 AM Rate Topic: -----

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Where to start?

Posted 31 July 2012 - 09:16 AM

I have been learning java for quite some time now, and I decided to get into game development. I know java may often be criticized for game development, but I choose to use it because it is cross platform, and I enjoy it. More to the point I have always been interested in game development. Me and some friends have been talking it over and decided that making a rogue like would be fun. I don't exactly know if this is the proper way to start with game development, but I would like to give it a try. If any of you have any ideas or suggestions I would much appreciate your help.

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Where to start?

#2 modi123_1  Icon User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Where to start?

Posted 31 July 2012 - 09:24 AM

Okay - a few things. Check out the first few pages of this sub forum. There's more than two handfuls of folks asking "where to start" - read the advice there.

Also there's the pinned threads at the top. Flip through those.

Next.. get a plan. Write down everything you want to do, set mile stones, define actions/user interaction/game states/game world... also define when the game will be "complete"... Then start dolling out milestones and breaking up the work.

Do you friends know java? If not it's best to get everyone up to speed. Buy a book.. absorb it.. do the exercises..
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• フカユ
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Where to start?

Posted 31 July 2012 - 09:25 AM

This question is asked on an almost daily basis. Please search the forum and read the stickies.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1