9 Replies - 4340 Views - Last Post: 21 August 2012 - 04:44 PM Rate Topic: -----

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Hardest part about Game Design?

Posted 01 August 2012 - 10:37 PM

Alright guys, so I was about to start working on a new game that I already have a kind of concept for, but I've hit what I believe is the hardest part about game design...

Naming The Game and The Characters

Personally this is just straight up the hardest part to me and I have no clue why, I guess it is just because I want them to be cool names and I can't think of any...

What are you people's thoughts about it? Or what do you think is the hardest part about game design?

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Hardest part about Game Design?

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Hardest part about Game Design?

Posted 01 August 2012 - 10:44 PM

Not particularly a lounge topic so I'll move it to the game dev forum.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 01 August 2012 - 10:49 PM

Thank you, Modi :)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 02 August 2012 - 09:01 AM

Naming is the hardest part? Hmm.. Typically I give things a project designation.. for example I have two (secret) projects.. #1 is Pieces of What.. #2 Wood Woe Wilson. It makes things amusing and can be quite zanny.

A game name can be something meaningful (say out and out naming what your game is.. like BulletStorm.. or Call of Duty).. or something more punny... then there are wordsmiths who can capture a title as an oblique reference to the game.. Eufloria comes to mind. I wouldn't get too hung up on... but everything needs a name so go with the project designation (Project: Crazy Lightening!) and just use that until something sticks out or you are nearing the end.

As for character names that all depends on the game type, setting, and back story those can be shook out with some thought. If not go find some lit/language major and have him help. I have a plethora of tables and old D&D books that, if I am stuck, help me. That or I go on a two week crusade of sketching out basic linguistic prefix/suffix and roots.

It also doesn't hurt boning up on general prefixes and suffixes and just recombining them. GRE exams have study guides that have giant lists of word break downs.. a bit of studying helps!

Of course "cool" is in the eye of the beholder..
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover

• View blog

Posted 02 August 2012 - 09:47 AM

I thinkt he hardest thing would be story and character development. A bad story (concept) can lead to terminal fail. Bad characters can be over looked with a good story. But actually designing the look of the character can be batty.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• #include "soul.h"
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 02 August 2012 - 10:20 AM

I think the hardest part is actually coming up with what the game will be.

I am working on a few side projects and once I have decided on what they will actually do they fly, but not until then...
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 02 August 2012 - 10:23 AM

I would also say a pretty hard part would be to limit the scope of your game. Everyone wants to throw in all these awesome concepts and ideas but that just waters down, breaks, or generally dilutes the main thrust of the game. Take your concept and whittle it down to a core nugget. Much like say how "Pedestrian Bear finds a Friend" ended up.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• using Caffeine;
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 02 August 2012 - 01:57 PM

I'd say BetaWar and modi123_1 have valid points. A lot of the time the hardest part of game design can be coming up with an idea that doesn't seem cheesy or has been done to death. Sometimes the game can work if it's cheesy or done to death if you can put a new spin on it. Once you have the idea you need to make sure that feature creep doesn't set in and you're incorporating too much into your design.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• #include "soul.h"
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 02 August 2012 - 03:26 PM

I have run into feature creep multiple times. It is so easy to come up with something that would be awesome to add to the game (or program), yet is completely outside the scope of the current project. That happens quite often.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 21 August 2012 - 04:44 PM

View PostBenzoate, on 01 August 2012 - 10:37 PM, said:

Alright guys, so I was about to start working on a new game that I already have a kind of concept for, but I've hit what I believe is the hardest part about game design...

Naming The Game and The Characters

Personally this is just straight up the hardest part to me and I have no clue why, I guess it is just because I want them to be cool names and I can't think of any...

What are you people's thoughts about it? Or what do you think is the hardest part about game design?

As to your question For me I find that If I sketch out a picture of what the character looks like in my head and start adding details I find that when I start adding specific Details about them start giving me more ideas about what kind of name to use. For Example, In Full Metal Alchemist The character Scar had a giant scar over his face. Now Im not saying that it should be that easy but some details and a back story on the character should help you with naming characters. As far as naming the game Best thing to do is to have a Big list of possible names and as you are working on the game you can add and remove names from the list and eventually by the time you are done with the game you should only have a few names on the list.

Hope that helps.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1