7 Replies - 3131 Views - Last Post: 02 June 2007 - 11:16 AM

• Head DIC Head
  • member icon

• View blog

The top 10 dead (or dying) computer skills

Post icon  Posted 27 May 2007 - 10:50 PM

What's sad about this is that Borland's Delphi--arguably the greatest object oriented programming environment ever--isn't on the list, no doubt because it was never popular enough to even warrant later becoming ... via Paul Thurrott's Internet Nexus
Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: The top 10 dead (or dying) computer skills

• g+ + -o drink whiskey.cpp
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: The top 10 dead (or dying) computer skills

Posted 01 June 2007 - 05:01 PM

OS/2 is dying??!?!?! Jesus, I thought it was dead!
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Head DIC Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 01 June 2007 - 05:03 PM

They say coldfusion is dieing and I disagree. With an awesome release coming out this summer and their partnership with Adobe. ColdFusion is going to become more and more popular. They just need to market it.

Hell, MySpace is running on BlueDragon which is a ColdFusion knock off...
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Can grep dead trees!
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 01 June 2007 - 05:25 PM

9. PC network administrators
Is this something of the past... Or is it just that the name has changed to "IT-Guy." I know that the need has not diminished -- people still forget their passwords, nobody knows how to install a network program, when the BSOD pops up who you gonna call? Maybe the calls go to geek squad? It would seem to me that there is too much of a niche here to say they are one the way out....
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• code.rascal
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 02 June 2007 - 06:10 AM

Hmm, funny. I've never thought that Delphi was so cool...
Anyway, the non relational DBMS thing is interesting, since it's true, that some of them are dying, but there is big research in that field (OO, and others)
And hopefully C is here to stay in many places, since I would be really scared if microcontrollers or the Linux kernel would be programmed in C++...
Anyway, rip Cobol.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Married Life
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 02 June 2007 - 06:32 AM

View PostNickDMax, on 1 Jun, 2007 - 07:25 PM, said:

9. PC network administrators
Is this something of the past... Or is it just that the name has changed to "IT-Guy." I know that the need has not diminished -- people still forget their passwords, nobody knows how to install a network program, when the BSOD pops up who you gonna call? Maybe the calls go to geek squad? It would seem to me that there is too much of a niche here to say they are one the way out....

OMW! Network Admins are dying? WTF?! I'm one of those and I was just hired too!
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Can grep dead trees!
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 02 June 2007 - 07:52 AM

And hopefully C is here to stay in many places, since I would be really scared if microcontrollers or the Linux kernel would be programmed in C++...

People have been saying that C is dieing for a long time now. The truth is these people just *think* that it is dieing because C++ is around. The relationship between the two is not really understood by those people. It may be true that C is diminishing as an application development platform due to the large overhead of GUI operating systems, but the importance of C as a low-level alternative to the really low-level assembly language route to writing many kinds of program (operating systems, embedded applications, device drivers, etc) is not going away anytime soon.

Delphi users are like the Mac users of the 1990's. They all think they discovered paradise. All they really are is a group of pascal users who don't want to admit that pascal has died. -- which oddly enough also didn't make the list -- because no one cares.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#8 no2pencil  Icon User is online

• Admiral Fancy Pants
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 02 June 2007 - 11:16 AM

This list is complete bunk. Whom-ever wrote this article is probly referring to schools/colleges & their teachings. In the 'real-world' COBOL & c are still heavily used, as these are platforms that a good number of larger corps was built upon. There was a time that I would have agreed about COBOL, & then I actually worked in the field. Now, while I don't use COBOL myself, I know that it's in demand in my work environment. As well, the code the company has made an unmeasuareable amount of money with was built in the early 90's on AIX systems. All of that c code has been ported to Linux around 2000, & were still using it today (as well as continuing development of new projects/code). So I have to completely disagree with this list, & claim that this was written by an editor, & probly not someone that works with a major corp.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1