11 Replies - 12266 Views - Last Post: 06 August 2012 - 12:57 PM Rate Topic: -----

• D.I.C Regular
  • member icon

• View blog

Easiest GUI library for Python 3

Posted 02 August 2012 - 12:51 PM

What would be the easiest and most functional GUI library for using with Python 3 that is cross platform? I think I got spoiled by WPF when I do C# and I know nothing will be at least as easy ont he front end but something similar to WinForms without using Mono if possible. Does anyone have any suggestions as I want to do more cross platform coding but alot of ideas rely on a GUI.
Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Easiest GUI library for Python 3

• Programming Theoretician
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Easiest GUI library for Python 3

Posted 02 August 2012 - 03:36 PM

You can find more about this at their page (in case you haven't see that yet)...

http://docs.python.o...3k/faq/gui.html

:)
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 02 August 2012 - 03:46 PM

Well I have seen that but my question also extends to the opinions of other members who have worked with them before as to what they would recommend. Thank you for the link.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Blue Sprat
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 02 August 2012 - 04:25 PM

This is a slightly tricky question, because all the frameworks (or libraries) that were used with Python 2.x are not necessarily available in Python 3.

I am not a fan at all of Tkinter - the "standard" GUI library shipped with Python. For a Python 3 GUI toolkit, I would go with PyQt.

If you don't necessarily have to use Python 3, I would go with WxPython, which I don't believe is ported for Python 3 yet - but I'm sure I read somewhere there are plans. This is my GUI toolkit of choice out of all the options.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 02 August 2012 - 04:42 PM

I would prefer to stay on Python 3 so it should work with that. Tk seemed too limited last time I used it and was a bit awkward to use. Doesn't PyQt require a license to use?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Blue Sprat
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 03 August 2012 - 04:27 AM

To use it, no. You can download it from the site. To use it commercially, and sell it, though, I believe you need to buy a separate licence.

Edit: Here's a nice clear tutorial on PyQt to get started: http://zetcode.com/tutorials/pyqt4/, it also has tutorials on WxPython, Tkinter and PyGTK.

This post has been edited by Simown: 03 August 2012 - 08:17 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• Pragmatism over Dogma
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 03 August 2012 - 08:32 PM

WxPython is my personal favorite. It can be ported to several languages (wx at least) because of its base in C, which means that if I decide to switch languages I'm not out in the dark trying to learn a new method of form design just to facilitate a new language.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 04 August 2012 - 08:40 AM

View PostLemur, on 03 August 2012 - 10:32 PM, said:

WxPython is my personal favorite. It can be ported to several languages (wx at least) because of its base in C, which means that if I decide to switch languages I'm not out in the dark trying to learn a new method of form design just to facilitate a new language.

The only problem with this is they do not have a Python 3.2 version, they stop at 2.7.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 05 August 2012 - 05:05 PM

Does anyone have any opinions on this book:
http://www.amazon.co...1&keywords=pyqt

I feel like PyQt is the best route to go for Python 3 but I am so lost by the documentation that I had to just stop reading it and do something else since I go so frustrated. Or can someone recommend some easy to follow tutorials?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Blue Sprat
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 06 August 2012 - 01:14 AM

I've never read that book, so I can't recommend it, sorry.

Did you look at the tutorial I posted in a previous post? I think that's quite easy to follow. If you are still struggling maybe you need to work on some more basic Python first?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 06 August 2012 - 06:58 AM

The documentation was very overwhelming to me also at the beginning. It wasn't until I started messing around with all the modules that I could fully understand it. The best tutorial that I found that got me started with it was PyQt By Example. This tutorial gets you started by showing you how to used the Qt Designer tool and how to compile the .ui file for use in your programs. Most tutorials I saw when I was learning PyQt didn't mention the Qt Designer. The way that this tutorial showed PyQt seemed to click well with me and actually got me started messing around with the toolkit, then after that point the documentation was all I really needed for reference.

Edit: The tutorial is actually written in Python2.6, so the exact code will not work for you in python3. However all of the PyQt material does transfer to Python3(I was using Python3 when I was using this tutorial).

This post has been edited by duffman18: 06 August 2012 - 07:02 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 06 August 2012 - 12:57 PM

View PostSimown, on 06 August 2012 - 03:14 AM, said:

I've never read that book, so I can't recommend it, sorry.

Did you look at the tutorial I posted in a previous post? I think that's quite easy to follow. If you are still struggling maybe you need to work on some more basic Python first?

I know I still need to learn some aspects of Python better I agree, but as far as the GUI is concerned I feel I can tackle both at once but the documentation is pretty difficult for me to understand. When I learned C# I started with simple console applications but then jumped right into WinForms and later WPF while still learning the language and I learned much better that way, in my opinion at least but that coule be perception as well. I am no master at C# but I figure approaching Python in a similar manner may work so I am attempting to try it.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1