6 Replies - 1331 Views - Last Post: 06 August 2012 - 01:15 PM

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Are you in a computer club?

Posted 02 August 2012 - 02:56 PM

What do you guys think of joining a computer club? Im just looking to meet some people with similar interest and continue advancing my skill coding.
Is This A Good Question/Topic? 1
  • +

Replies To: Are you in a computer club?

• Programming Theoretician
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Are you in a computer club?

Posted 02 August 2012 - 03:27 PM

Computer clubs are great. I myself never really had an opportunity to join such a club growing up. They are great in that it gives you a sounding board to bounce ideas off of, help with problems, a place to learn and a place to teach others.

We do much of that here on this board too. That is why you could consider us a big public computing club. But definitely, a great idea if you can get into one.

I really should look into getting into one of the tech organizations out there, but only if I had the time to do that.

:)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 04 August 2012 - 03:09 AM

I'm not a part of any computer club, but it definitely sounds promising. The idea of interacting with people and learning from them stuff that interests me is great.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Pragmatism over Dogma
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 04 August 2012 - 10:07 PM

Those with ambition tend to find each other. If you want to meet the people that really have some fire to them, look for the ones who always seem to be tinkering on something, those are the people you want to get to know. Depending on the school, the club could be a haven or a joke. It's up to you to figure out which it is, and either stay or run depending on what you find.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 05 August 2012 - 05:44 AM

I wish there were such clubs in my town but nope, nothing that I know of. It's pretty nice to find people with similar interests like you. Also the learning experience could be great and also fun.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover

• View blog

Posted 06 August 2012 - 12:59 PM

View PostLemur, on 04 August 2012 - 10:07 PM, said:

Depending on the school, the club could be a haven or a joke.

Completely agree there. In high school the 'Computer Club' was a joke, really just a separate photo in the yearbook for the kids that competed in Computer-inclusive contests through Future Business Leaders of America contests.

At the two-year Tech College I attended, things were better, but... was more fun Programming in class. The 'Computer Club' was really just a bunch of the *Hardcore* gamers who had no job, no life, and always complained about being broke, but ALWAYS had the latest game or follow-up. Pretty sad really, but a select of these were good friends of mine, so no offense intended to anyone.

I think the best part about the College Computer Club was the yearly Chili Cook-Off they did as a fund-raiser for the LAN Party.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover

• View blog

Posted 06 August 2012 - 01:15 PM

Im told old for these "stinking clubs"... we don't need no stinking clubs"...

actually these did not exist when I was in school.....
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1