Programming books to take on the go?

• (2 Pages)
  • +

18 Replies - 1137 Views - Last Post: 22 August 2012 - 01:02 PM

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Programming books to take on the go?

Posted 02 August 2012 - 05:01 PM

What I'm looking for is some programming or good computer books to take on the go, something discrete like a smaller than normal or a pocket book, mostly because I'd like to take a good computer orientated book with me to school to read on breaks, I only carry my notebook with me so taking a normal sized book is a bit much without a bag, any suggestions would be appreciated.
Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Programming books to take on the go?

#2 cfoley  Icon User is online

• Cabbage
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Programming books to take on the go?

Posted 02 August 2012 - 05:17 PM

Have you considered an ebook reader?
Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

• Code herder
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 02 August 2012 - 05:24 PM

Pocket back size puts a crimp on most of the programming books...

Not truly about programming, but about computers and programming: Soul of A New Machine by Tracy Kidder.

More towards code and programming: Code by Charles Petzold

If you really want hardcore programming books: Most of the older O'Reilly books were printed is the smaller format. If I recall correctly the awk and sed books were printed in a smaller size. I know that I used to go around with the K&R "C Programming Language" book in my backpack and it wasn't much bigger than my paper notebook.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 02 August 2012 - 06:59 PM

I have books on my iPhone however I really dislike reading eBooks and feel like I can't concentrate unless it's a real book.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Monomania
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 02 August 2012 - 07:45 PM

How about print the language API of your choice into a format that would fit your pocket? Other than that, I'm with cfoley on this one. Programming books are not made for light reading. Well, there are some exceptions, like this one:

The Pragmatic Programmer: From Journeyman to Master

I was once skeptical about the whole ebook movement, but now I've warmed up to it. With the right tablet reader you can read anything you want, on the go. That includes your pr0n.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#6 jon.kiparsky  Icon User is online

• Pancakes!
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 02 August 2012 - 07:55 PM

I can't think of very many programming books in a real pocket format. O'Reilly does put out pocket reference guides for a lot of topics, those might be useful for review, but I think most books on programming go for a larger format so the code can be laid out legibly. Depending on the pockets you've got, you might find some books on math to be portable - my edition of Dedekind's Essays on Number Theory fits in the back pocket of my khakis, but not my jeans. (yes, I just checked)
So you could carry that around, along with a pencil, and work out some of his proofs on your spare moments. That's pretty useful for the programming mind.
Actually, most of the Dover math reprints are the same format as my edition of Dedekind, and they tend to be pretty slim, so there's a lot of choices in that regard. The touble is finding the right ones, since they can get pretty esoteric.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• Monomania
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 02 August 2012 - 08:02 PM

View Postjon.kiparsky, on 03 August 2012 - 02:55 AM, said:

my edition of Dedekind's Essays on Number Theory fits in the back pocket of my khakis, but not my jeans. (yes, I just checked)

Aaaaand it's available as a free ebook. Print it to fit in your jeans so you could one up jon.kiparsky? :)

Project Gutenberg’s Essays on the Theory of Numbers, by Richard Dedekind
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Code herder
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 02 August 2012 - 08:03 PM

The Nook Simple Touch is perfect for me. Right price point. The battery lasts forever. And eInk is a joy to read. And when it comes to programming books: infinitely lighter than any textbook sized hard bound book. I wish I could get the "Game Programming Gems" series in Nook format. (I think I can only get Book 8.)

Back on topic: Although tradebook sized, Scott Meyer's Effective C++ and More Effective C++ are thin enough to carry around. I know that I had either book my backpack to read during my commute to and from work and didn't feel like it was weighing me down.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Monomania
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 02 August 2012 - 08:07 PM

Additionally, this site has tons of awesome free(yeah folks, legal) ebooks. I browsed through the categories and the Math section is full of books none of which I'm sure I won't be able to read cover to cover.

http://www.gutenberg.org/

PS: Here's the Math link.
Actually, the stuff under Logic and Philosophy looks interesting. Will give them a try. :)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#10 jon.kiparsky  Icon User is online

• Pancakes!
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 02 August 2012 - 08:30 PM

Gutenberg is a really awesome resource, and I use it all the time. It was actually a resource well before the http protocol, if I remember correctly. I may be wrong, but I seem to recall it as an FTP site in the late 80s. I've used it to acquire machine-readable texts for all sorts of purposes, including an attempt to decode the Finnish grammar. A failed attempt, I should say.

However, I can respect the desire for the dead-tree edition, I feel the same way about most books, so there you are. The Dovers are potentially pocket-sized, depending on your trouser of choice.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#11 cfoley  Icon User is online

• Cabbage
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 03 August 2012 - 03:31 AM

Shatto, I don't like reading from screens either but I hear that some of the screens with eink are really good.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 05 August 2012 - 01:14 PM

Thanks a lot guys, I may just find some good books and print them out to size like suggested and I suppose I could purchase some of those books for the hell of it, they look good, I'll also look in to a decent eReader and check out eink :)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 21 August 2012 - 08:04 PM

Hope I'm not intruding.

Haven't been around in awhile. Keep going back and forth with Programming. I'm an old fart, but want to finish what I started years ago.

Any how, I use the eBooks to stay mobile. I print off a few pages for the time frame I need them for. Then I return to the computer and start off where I left off.

Since I have two jobs in a sence. With one job we can't bring in any electronic items. Cameras, cell phones, etc. So I downloaded the ebooks onto my desktop. When I have to travel between floors I don't want to drag a book or laptop around. So, just print off a few pages. While the equipment is booting up ro shutting down I can read a page or two depending on what it is.

While I'm out running errands I can either take a page or two or whip out my cell phone with an eBook on it.

They're harder to read once we start getting older, but worth their weight in gold if you want to get a book read.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

Posted 21 August 2012 - 09:41 PM

I love to take my world of warcraft addon creation book. I will never make one. But its fun to see all of the api and fundamental things :) Unfortunately the book is the size of a minivan :/
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 21 August 2012 - 11:28 PM

I have a couple small HTML and CSS books (not programming per se) that I keep with me for reference. Probably going to add a PHP and/or SQL book to that sometime soon.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• (2 Pages)
  • +