1 Replies - 5073 Views - Last Post: 05 August 2012 - 07:02 AM

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Getting Into Developing Apps For iOS?

Posted 02 August 2012 - 06:23 PM

Hi there, hope all are well. :)

Let me start by saying that I'm a novice coder, and I wouldn't consider myself a true programmer in any sense of the word. The only languages I am proficient in are HTML, CSS, and to an extent, Javascript - no more.

Having said that, the reason for my posting in this forum is because I'm wanting to get into developing apps for iOS (iPhones, iPods, and iPads) - not professionally (yet?), but just as a hobby: doing something that I think I'll enjoy and that I can make a decent bit of money from at the same time. I understand this forum is probably full of experienced developers who have done just that. I have a couple (well, if I'm honest, quite a lot) of questions which I want to pose to you guys, and I'd appreciate it a lot if you could help me out.

My biggest question, and no doubt more will probably follow - what would me getting into developing actually involve me learning? Can anyone give me an overview, as detailed as possible if they wouldn't mind, of what getting into developing will entail for me: what I'll need to learn and get to grips with to get started. Things like the language, the framework, etc. For a start, what language would I need to learn? From the research I've done, Objective C seems to be considered THE language to learn for iOS development, despite other languages like C++ being supported (correct me if my knowledge is incorrect here). So, how long would it take me to learn Objective C if I was to be teaching myself in my spare time? Practically, is that something that can be done, provided that I was dedicated enough, despite having no experience of any other programming languages before? Would I need to learn another language like C or C++ before starting Objective C?

Note that I am an absolute novice, so any and all advice will be appreciated and taken into consideration. :)

Hashim

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Getting Into Developing Apps For iOS?

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Re: Getting Into Developing Apps For iOS?

Posted 05 August 2012 - 07:02 AM

I'm also trying to learn to develop apps for iOS and I think it might helpful if you a know a little C/C++ first, but not necessary. I'm trying to learn by watching a course on iTunes U from Standford by Paul Hegarty called "Developing Apps for iOS (Fall 2010)" CS193P. There are also newer versions, so search for one that matches whichever x-code version you have.
I've only just finished the 3rd video lecture, but it is very well done. (I really can't imagine how much time went into preparing this course. He is a really great teacher and I highly recommend watching these videos.) In addition to the video lectures, there are assignments that you can do to practice. For the first assignment (making a calculator), there is a very detailed pdf that guides you through exactly what to do to make the calculator and then for the assignment you need to add more buttons and things. The course assumes you have some programing experience (there are several required classes if you took the class for real). I don't have very much programing experience, so I have had to watch the videos several times each to try to understand, but I did manage to complete the first assignment, which is way better than I have accomplished with any of the other tutorials I have found online. I was actually hoping someone might be willing to have a look at my code and give me some feedback on things I can improve. The calculator code I wrote works, but I never know if I have written it very well...maybe there is a better/more efficient way to write it.

If you decide to do the fall 2010 course and want to compare code let me know. I think it is helpful to see how others decided to write the same program.

This post has been edited by JustLearning: 05 August 2012 - 07:04 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1