4 Replies - 730 Views - Last Post: 04 August 2012 - 09:02 PM

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

External Hard Drive on Windows OS and Ubuntu OS...

Posted 02 August 2012 - 11:13 PM

is it possible a external hard drive that can not read by windows os can read by ubuntu os...? im just wondering because i have one external hard drive that can't read by windows os and my friend told me that ubuntu can read my external hard drive.. i still didnt try it in ubuntu os........
Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: External Hard Drive on Windows OS and Ubuntu OS...

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Re: External Hard Drive on Windows OS and Ubuntu OS...

Posted 03 August 2012 - 12:20 AM

i dont think so,bcoz there is no such kind of feature in ubuntu,,however there might be some other hardware problem..you should check for your system
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• member icon

• View blog

Posted 03 August 2012 - 01:40 PM

is it possible a external hard drive that can not read by windows os can read by ubuntu os...? im just wondering because i have one external hard drive that can't read by windows os and my friend told me that ubuntu can read my external hard drive.. i still didnt try it in ubuntu os........

Yes, Windows will not read Linux partitions. Linux can read most of the Windows file systems. Windows should be able to repartition the drive to be useable for Windows, but you would loose any information on the drive.

Jim

This post has been edited by jimblumberg: 03 August 2012 - 01:41 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#4 no2pencil  Icon User is online

• Toubabo Koomi
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 03 August 2012 - 01:43 PM

It isn't really 'partitions' that is the problem. The Windows kernel will only read Fat 16, Fat 32, & NTFS file systems (to be accurate it will only read a limited set of file systems, it could be more than just these three). Where as a Linux kernel will be able to ready anything that you load into the kernel, ReiserFS, UFS, EXT2, & EXT3 are the most common.

The 1st xbox (not 360) was actually unlocked using Linux. The drives that are used are 'parked' & use FatX, which Windows does not have the ability to load, so it can not access the drive with read/write abilities. A Linux boot disk can be loaded with a kernel that has FatX loaded, access the drive with read/write ability, & you're up & running.

& just to hammer the point home, read some wikis on Linux File Systems vs Windows File Systems.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• Pragmatism over Dogma
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 04 August 2012 - 09:02 PM

As No2 has already said, you can.

Simply put, Linux can read Windows but Windows cannot read Linux.

That's a rather generalist statement though to be fair, because with a combination of NFS and Samba you could more than likely hack your way around that minor annoyance, but that's beyond the scope of a simple external hard drive plug'n'play answer.

This post has been edited by Lemur: 04 August 2012 - 09:03 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1