3 Replies - 978 Views - Last Post: 05 August 2012 - 05:26 AM

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Has anyone written a literature review for their comp dissertation?

Posted 03 August 2012 - 08:34 AM

I'm considering writing about design patterns in software engineering / app development. Basically we have to choose a subject relevant to our final year project and write a lit review / discussion paper of 2.5 - 5k words. My project is a silverlight application, e-commerce store and mobile app (Silverlight, ASP MVC, etc).

From talking to lecturers finding a subject with lots of literature is a good start! I've been using MVVM and studying MVC but are there many other patterns I can compare with?

If you have experience of this type of thing, what did you write about? any advice appreciated!

Many thanks

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Has anyone written a literature review for their comp dissertation?

• D.I.C Lover

• View blog

Re: Has anyone written a literature review for their comp dissertation?

Posted 03 August 2012 - 09:33 AM

Mine was on a sales documentation application where it tracked sales, distribution, and goals. It had to be 20 pages long and writing it was a breeze once you start to roll.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 03 August 2012 - 01:50 PM

My project was an investigation into the visible issues between Web Browsers interpreting web languages and had to be 50 pages long. I did a lot of code examples and graphical examples.

The first bit of advice I would offer is, make sure your project is on something you enjoy or find interesting as you'll be spending a lot of time on it and by the end you'll be fed up of seeing it!

Getting a lot of literature is always a good start, however be sure to check the literature is relevant to what you are investigating and is written by someone reliable, as you don't want to have to search for more literature during the write up stages of the report. Find literature that not only supports your hypothesis but also disagrees with it, as this shows you are approaching it with an open mind and gathering data and knowledge to make your decision, rather than a simple preference. (Crucial for a 1st on your project).

Make notes of any failures and success, don't try to hide these failures as it will get you a better mark when you write your critical reflection.

Try and keep it written in an academic matter, in other words don't use abbreviations, I know this sounds petty but it was worth an easy 10% of my project.

Two books I found pretty useful were:
Writing your Dissertation by Derek Swetnam & Ruth Swetnam,
The Elements of Style Fourth Edition by William Strunk JR. and E.B.White

The last one was recommend to me by my tutor and provides excellent advice on writing formal reports and books.

That's all I can think of for now. :bigsmile:

Good luck with your dissertation! :^:

This post has been edited by Cocker081288: 03 August 2012 - 01:52 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 05 August 2012 - 05:26 AM

Oh! One more important thing I forgot to mention, get as many people to check it over as you possibly can. This is because no matter how good you are you will make mistakes, especially if your tired.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1