4 Replies - 3372 Views - Last Post: 05 August 2012 - 04:16 PM Rate Topic: -----

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

The roles of the various languages in .net programming

Posted 03 August 2012 - 10:47 PM

I am thinking of moving from php/javascript web site development to .net web application programming. I have been studying the various languages for a little bit and I am wondering about the roles each language plays. What I'm used to is html for markup, javascript for client side scripting, php for server side and css for design.

From what I can tell, we still use HTML for markup, ASP.net for server side and css for design, but I am a little confused about the roles of c# and javascript. I had figured c# would take the place in client side programming, but opening visual studio and starting a new project for the first time, I see a bunch of javascript and jquery files.

So, I am looking for a link to a guide or good explaination of what is supposed to be doing what. Thank you.

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: The roles of the various languages in .net programming

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: The roles of the various languages in .net programming

Posted 03 August 2012 - 11:09 PM

Essentially, C# would just replace PHP.

PHP, ASP.NET (C# or VB.NET), JSP (Java), Coldfusion, Python, etc... These are all server-side languages that are used to generate client side content.

Regardless of which of them you use, the client side content always consists of: HTML for the structure, CSS for the appearance, and Javascript for the logic.

(I'm ignoring old stuff like VBScript, which was sometimes used instead of Javascript.)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Professional Lurker
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 04 August 2012 - 01:11 PM

ASP.NET is basically the overall web development framework. You use either C# or VB.Net as the server side language. With ASP.NET you can use WebForms, MVC, Web Pages or Web API to develop applications. I would suggest going over to ASP.NET and going through some the tutorials there.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 05 August 2012 - 12:38 PM

Very interesting, thank you both. We are using MVC3 with the razor view engine. Let me know if I have the tasks matched up correctly:

Add a text input box to an online form - asp.net or html helper like Html.Textboxfor. (are helpers asp.net or c#?)

Redirect to another page after a form submission - can be done with either c# or asp.net. Is one better than the other?

Form validation - Javascript

Example: Form has yes/no radio buttons. If yes is clicked, a new textbox appears below the radio buttons asking for additional information. - Is this c# or javascript? (I would have used javascript back in my web site days, but not sure in .net).

Again, thank you both for your help.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Professional Lurker
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 05 August 2012 - 04:16 PM

Html helpers are part of the mvc framework.

Redirecting to another page can be done using a standard html anchor tag (<a></a>) or using server code, whether that be C# or VB.Net.

Form validation will be javascript, although you should also validate on the server side as well since it is possible for users to change the values between the time it's validated and when it's actually sent.

For dynamically show or hiding elements on a web page I'd use javascript.

Nothing you do will ever be considered to be in "ASP.NET". You use javascript on the client side. You use either C# or VB.NET on the server side. You're using MVC, or WebForms as the web framework. All of it together makes up ASP.NET.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1