2 Replies - 341 Views - Last Post: 07 August 2012 - 06:53 PM

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Hi,I am Amit from India working presently for TCS as an ITIS engineer.

Posted 05 August 2012 - 01:31 PM

I am a very unfortunate guy who wasted his time in playing games while at college,though CS was not my branch I chose IT industry because I didn't knew much about my core branch(that is electronics and electrical engineering A.K.A EEE).
After I joined the company I found out that there were many guys who were damn serious about work and were miles ahead of me in knowledge.Sometimes I sit and cry what I have done with my career,it just seems to be now totally destroyed.But some of my friends say boss you don't know programming then you have ITIS and that is ok because most of the work here is non programming so try to master that.
When I was in 8th standard(14 years of age) I designed a KBC program in Basic using graphics that too I am not sure whether it is called visual basic.But anyhow that was just my start in the world of programming and i won a silver medal for that at the science exhibition.After 10th standard,my father got transfered to a place where the school had no computer teachers.Since my father's income was low we couldn't offered a computer and after that the programming curiosity died inside of me.When I went to college I was given a laptop as it was included in the university course structure for each courses to help student get information from the internet.For me it was a gaming tool and nothing else.
I am ready to put all those behind and I want to continue programming but I don't know where to start with.C and C++ I learned for passing the exams and not for learning as I was much addicted to gaming by then.
What changed me was when I was working with the company I was getting very low paid and they are calling me at improper shift timings and when I look at my friends at IT they all have a decent office working hours,usually 8am to 5pm.For me it can be morning 6am to 3pm or 2pm - 11 pm or 10 pm to 7 am.
When I consulted with my best friend,he is working at Oracle Corporation,India,he told me that first i should start with PL/SQL because I need to know a language which you can use to retrieve data in databases and JAVA both these combined forms the IT industry as he knows it and would give me a very good career boost.
The thing is I want to learn now to become a good programmer but I don't know where to start with.If someone can help me out i will be grateful to him/her.

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Hi,I am Amit from India working presently for TCS as an ITIS engineer.

• #include <greeter>
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Hi,I am Amit from India working presently for TCS as an ITIS engineer.

Posted 06 August 2012 - 11:38 PM

Welcome Amit! Glad you stopped by D.I.C! This is just the place to be if you want to become a good programmer. Trust me, I've learned so much over the years thanks to Dream.In.Code. Like yourself, I'm a C++ programmer (brogrammer) as well, and I'll point you in the direction of that respective forum, as I know that's where I started looking. Head on over, pose any questions, look at snippets of code, any resources are at your disposal now, in order to learn! Hit up the C++ forum and enjoy!

Regards,
Andrew
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Monomania
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Hi,I am Amit from India working presently for TCS as an ITIS engineer.

Posted 07 August 2012 - 06:53 PM

Welcome Amit! Your friend is right on the spot. Java and Oracle's PL/SQL go pretty well with each other, as I too have used them both in work. Go learn them and find yourself the job you like! We're here to help you if you don't understand something. You can do it! ^^
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1