• (5 Pages)
  • +
  • Last »

74 Replies - 5615 Views - Last Post: 24 August 2012 - 06:34 PM

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Question: D.I.C vs Stackoverflow

Posted 06 August 2012 - 03:17 PM

My friends and I have gotten into a heated debate about which community is the best. Me being a DIC head....I answered DIC all day!! One of my friends tends to disagree! Thats totally fine..he is entitled to his opinion. I wanted to know what some of you guys think. DIC or Stackoverflow??
Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Question: D.I.C vs Stackoverflow

• Pragmatism over Dogma
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Question: D.I.C vs Stackoverflow

Posted 06 August 2012 - 03:20 PM

Different communities, different focuses. All in all I'd have to put simply: Does it really matter?
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

#3 GunnerInc  Icon User is online

• "Hurry up and wait"
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 06 August 2012 - 03:21 PM

POPULAR

SO has some amazing and well known folks that frequent it. Overall most of the folks are pompous asses IMHO. They talk down to just about all newbies.

The site has a different layout than a forum. It is technically a wiki I believe.

This forum, it is easy to find all of your posts, the people are very friendly and glad to help. But this was brought up here before.
Was This Post Helpful? 6
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 06 August 2012 - 03:28 PM

View PostGunnerInc, on 06 August 2012 - 03:21 PM, said:

SO has some amazing and well known folks that frequent it. Overall most of the folks are pompous asses IMHO. They talk down to just about all newbies.

The site has a different layout than a forum. It is technically a wiki I believe.

This forum, it is easy to find all of your posts, the people are very friendly and glad to help. But this was brought here before.

Yea I mentioned that to my friends...... majority of the people on SO are very harsh on newbies! They downvote every question that doesn't make sense to them instead of trying to work with person that posts a concern!
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• LIKE A BOSS
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 06 August 2012 - 05:00 PM

Stackoverflow has a ton of really smart people. On the other hand, they're REALLY pedantic about the rules. That works for them, and that's fine, but I'd rather ask questions on a more relaxed forum.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 06 August 2012 - 05:14 PM

Yeah, I've been talked down upon on SO by a forum leader, but in his defense the quality of my post wasn't that great. That instantly taught me that SO members are pretty anal about keeping SO a high-quality knowledge base.

Also, SO has attracted some great minds, who give exceptionally good answers to even the most specific of questions. I can honestly say every time I sit down to write code, SO has an answer for my google query, and I'm pretty sure any serious developer will say the same.

Sometimes I'll answer Java questions, but there is so much activity in that forum, my contribution isn't that important. Generally speaking, you're answers only get voted down if they're outright wrong. Often, someone will make a helpful comment or show you problems in your line of thinking.

Ultimately, as stated already, SO is a knowledge base, and DIC is a community.

They downvote every question that doesn't make sense to them instead of trying to work with person that posts a concern!

Like I said, it all comes back to not letting the forums go to shit. Another thing is that there's no hand holding on SO. They'd rather give answers to general problems and let you do the dirty work. They've got their own work to do and can't waste time getting involved too deeply in someone's work or asking about details that should of been posted. In most cases, the developer can sort at the low-level details themselves. If you're new to programming and you need detailed instruction, DIC is where you want to be.

This post has been edited by blackcompe: 06 August 2012 - 05:16 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#7 jon.kiparsky  Icon User is online

• Pancakes!
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 06 August 2012 - 05:28 PM

POPULAR

My 2 cents' worth: It seems to me that SO wants to be an authoritative source for any question about code - either it's been answered correctly, or they'll answer it correctly now and add it to the database. DIC, on the other hand, wants to develop a community of people who can reason correctly about code: it doesn't matter if it's been answered before, we'll give everyone a chance to answer it so they can get some practice answering this sort of question too.

Obviously, I think DIC's approach is more effective: SO tends to divide people into the elite and the unwashed, and if you're in the latter category all you can do is beg for crumbs of knowledge from the high table. This way of thinking is clearly incorrect: code is a proveable discipline, which means that it can be learned. It's not like literary theory, where the "correct" answer is the one given by the person with the biggest degree, in programming the correct answer is the one that convincingly solves the problem correctly.

Therefore, people who try to answer questions about code are going to be better at thinking about code than people who don't. Therefore, the correct approach is to encourage others to attempt to give answers, and congratulate them for good work and correct their mistakes. Ergo, DIC rulez, SO droolz.
Was This Post Helpful? 6
  • +
  • -

#8 no2pencil  Icon User is online

• Head MFIC
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 06 August 2012 - 05:57 PM

POPULAR

We haz a B9 & a GabeHabe. Faq SO.
Was This Post Helpful? 7
  • +
  • -

#9 jon.kiparsky  Icon User is online

• Pancakes!
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 06 August 2012 - 06:01 PM

View Postno2pencil, on 06 August 2012 - 07:57 PM, said:

We haz a B9 & a GabeHabe. Faq SO.

Dare I say, we have a higher quality of member all around.
Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

• Hash != Encryption
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 06 August 2012 - 06:07 PM

DIC is more of a community than I think SO can ever be.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• .. does not guess solutions
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 07 August 2012 - 01:43 AM

DIC is a community and SO isn't, it's a Q&A site.

I mentioned somewhere else that I hang around both, but DIC is more of a "Get help and assistance" and SO is more of an "Answer My Question" type thing. That's it, I prefer the more community oriented way more, but sometimes it's nice to just correctly answer a question and then not have "ok thanks and now how to do this?" crap that we get here all the time (at least in PHP).
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• It's a 16-Bit World!
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 07 August 2012 - 03:06 AM

Yeah, happens in C/C++ forum too.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover

• View blog

Posted 07 August 2012 - 03:24 AM

This again? They aren't the same thing. Stack exchange, besides being Q&A, is an aggregator of top questions; DiC is a forum. I use both, although I never really ask questions on either, I just hang out in the lounge bugging people about stupid shit that I haven't thought through.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• holy shitin shishkebobs
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 07 August 2012 - 06:10 AM

POPULAR

Out of curiosity, did the OP go to SO and pose the same question?

It's kind of stupid to come to DIC - and post in the Lounge of all places... where the regulars lurk - and ask if DIC is the better site. It's like walking into Cheers and asking Norm if he'd rather drink at a different bar.

Fuck no! Norm wants to go where everybody knows his name!
Was This Post Helpful? 8
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover

• View blog

Posted 07 August 2012 - 06:14 AM

View PostBenignDesign, on 07 August 2012 - 09:10 AM, said:

Fuck no! Norm wants to go where everybody knows his name!

This is so true--- kinda like sullivan and son of today's tv

This post has been edited by DarenR: 07 August 2012 - 06:14 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• (5 Pages)
  • +
  • Last »