• +

74 Replies - 5055 Views - Last Post: 14 August 2012 - 04:03 PM

#31 jon.kiparsky  Icon User is online

• Pancakes!
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Hobbies

Posted 07 August 2012 - 07:40 AM

There's a wonderful spoof of the Shakespeare "authorship controversy" called "The Beard of Avon". Maybe you could mount a production of that - playing the Bard himself.
Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

• holy shitin shishkebobs
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 07 August 2012 - 07:54 AM

Worth looking into.... or maybe an original piece titled "The Bearded Bitch" - like the Vagina Monologues with less vajayjay and more facial hair.
Was This Post Helpful? 3
  • +
  • -

#33 jon.kiparsky  Icon User is online

• Pancakes!
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 07 August 2012 - 08:00 AM

Or something about how tired you are of Shakespeare: "Bored of Avon". Or maybe something about why @gabehabe can't go back to Stratford: "Barred from Avon".
Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 07 August 2012 - 08:03 AM

... I am thinking a new community project - a DIC musical!
Was This Post Helpful? 3
  • +
  • -

#35 jon.kiparsky  Icon User is online

• Pancakes!
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 07 August 2012 - 08:13 AM

Let me just finish my new esoteric, "AVON". It's a variant of Python, but in addition to significant whitespace, all valid statements form pentametric iambs.
Control flow is handled by means of "stage directions", and what other languages consider to be "functions" and "methods" are "scenes". To terminate a scene, you perform an "exit". An irregular termination is signalled by the "pursued by a bear" modifier to the "exit" keyword.

Comments are "asides".

The only problem I'm having is that it's very difficult to ensure that performance is consistent across different machines. Each processor - or "director" - seems to want to put its own stamp on the production, so I've had fibonacci sequences come out in WWI dress, and my tic tac toe game wound up set in early 20th Century LA. This might take some time to resolve.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 07 August 2012 - 08:15 AM

Oh and if it has a beard theme I only request there be at least one joke about a merkin. Heck that might not be a bad title: The Merkin of South Beach.
Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

#37 jon.kiparsky  Icon User is online

• Pancakes!
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 07 August 2012 - 08:17 AM

I'm already working on a rousing patriotic number: "I'm a 'Merkin, Dammit, and I'm Proud!"
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• holy shitin shishkebobs
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 07 August 2012 - 08:25 AM

View Postjon.kiparsky, on 07 August 2012 - 11:17 AM, said:

I'm already working on a rousing patriotic number: "I'm a 'Merkin, Dammit, and I'm Proud!" "'Merka! Fuck yeah!"

FTFY
Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 07 August 2012 - 08:28 AM

I was thinking more along the lines of an orchestra meets techno piece to a light LMFAO beat of "I've a Merkin and I show it!"... maybe as a transition piece where the lead character starts to drag themselves from the depths of despair and hopelessness back into a more vibrant and plucky attitude to conquer their life altering quest.. the stage hands rearranging the scenario can be masked by a flood of women in bright Dr. Seus-esque colors and furry garments.

Spoiler

I'm on fire!
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#40 jon.kiparsky  Icon User is online

• Pancakes!
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 07 August 2012 - 08:29 AM

Sigh... I haven't even finished a draft and they want a rewrite... frickin' prima donnas
... though with that beard, she's more of a primo Don....

[aloud] Yes, boss, I'll get right on it. "Merka! Fuck yeah!", I can work with that, you bet!
[/aloud]

... maybe I can come up with something for the German market... "Merkel! Jawohl!" or something...
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• </luck>
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 07 August 2012 - 08:36 AM

I really like taking a ride around town on my motorcycle whenever I have things to do or places to be. It's definitely the most fun I've ever had. A car moves the body but two wheels frees the soul. I'm quite the motorhead; I enjoy fixing cars and bikes up that I get from craigslist then flipping them for a little extra cash. Cooking has recently become an interest in the last 6 months simply because I like to eat good food and my mom isn't around any more to cook it :wink: I swim laps twice a week to keep up with my old highschool sport and hit the gym four times a week as a stress reliever. Boxing the speed bag is my favorite cardio. I'm also a movie junkie and watch one almost every night before bed
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#42 jon.kiparsky  Icon User is online

• Pancakes!
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 07 August 2012 - 08:39 AM

View Postmodi123_1, on 07 August 2012 - 10:28 AM, said:

I was thinking more along the lines of an orchestra meets techno piece to a light LMFAO beat of "I've a Merkin and I show it!"... maybe as a transition piece where the lead character starts to drag themselves from the depths of despair and hopelessness back into a more vibrant and plucky attitude to conquer their life altering quest.. the stage hands rearranging the scenario can be masked by a flood of women in bright Dr. Seus-esque colors and furry garments.

The stage hands are in black. Nobody sees them.
But I like the furry garments... can we include brightly-colored furry merkins for the flood of women?

"I've got a furry merkin/and a brightly-colored jerkin
They're the clothes I go to work in/I'm a 'Merkin and I'm proud!"
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 07 August 2012 - 08:41 AM

Yeah that was the thrust - the women would be wearing the furry boots and bikinis for their choreographed dance.. the stage hands shuffle things around.. and the lead sings out the tune.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#44 jon.kiparsky  Icon User is online

• Pancakes!
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 07 August 2012 - 08:46 AM

"A shalwar kameez
That comes down to my knees?
Such a thing is not for me!

It would only hide
My colored furry pride
I must let my merkin be free!"
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover

• View blog

Posted 07 August 2012 - 09:01 AM

I do some language stuff... not as much as I used to, but I can do basic greetings (with generally authentic phonetics/pronunciation) and ask a few questions in Russian, German, French, Mandarin Chinese, Japanese, Korean, Laotian Khmer, Burmese, Nepali (phonetic reproduction isn't so great in that one, mainly because they have a single sound which incorporates the sounds of n, l, r, y, w, and d in one single sound), and a handful of tribal languages (Lisu, Lahu, Akha, Jinpo, Karen, Mong (although that's technically archaic Mandarin Chinese), and maybe one or two others I'm forgetting. This is without mentioning that I speak Thai with some fluency, which is fascinating in its efficiency, somewhat rare among foreigners, and an absolute pain in the ass because of the sensitivity required for even basic social interaction.

I've also begun looking into the history of the region lately, starting mostly with helping a friend on his history/conservation thesis last year. Quite a lot has happened here, and it's really interesting to see how, and why, and what it meant then and means now.

Other than that, I've begun doing wargame terrain again, although now I do it as a way to make cool things for my son to play with. working on a sewer-pipe/hideout/workshop place for him to run his trucks through right now.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• (5 Pages)
  • +