My Future...?

• (3 Pages)
  • +

35 Replies - 3523 Views - Last Post: 11 August 2012 - 11:32 AM

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

My Future...?

Posted 07 August 2012 - 11:43 AM

Hey everyone thanks for taking the time to view my thread, anyways; I am currently in High School and this year I will be taking two computer classes; Web Development, and Digital Design. I will get certifications in Adobe and HTML, anyways what do you think kind of job I could work at to forward my career as a Computer Programmer? Maybe just work at a grocery store until i'm old enough for college? The college I was looking at was Fullsail University Online.

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: My Future...?

• D.I.C Lover

• View blog

Re: My Future...?

Posted 07 August 2012 - 11:45 AM

who knows it is up to how much you know and how bad someone wants you. You can always do side jobs if you can't get a regular one.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 07 August 2012 - 11:47 AM

You want to know what part time job would help out your dev skills? Internships, charities, the goodwill's hardware guys, freelancing with some friends.. etc.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 07 August 2012 - 11:59 AM

View Postmodi123_1, on 07 August 2012 - 11:47 AM, said:

You want to know what part time job would help out your dev skills? Internships, charities, the goodwill's hardware guys, freelancing with some friends.. etc.

Wow Goodwill has a Hardware team that I can volunteer for? That sounds great. I am really aiming for an Internship. I am soon getting a job when i'm 18 as a Computer Programmer for the Sheriffs Office.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Pragmatism over Dogma
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 07 August 2012 - 03:45 PM

POPULAR

View PostDvastyn, on 07 August 2012 - 01:43 PM, said:

Hey everyone thanks for taking the time to view my thread, anyways; I am currently in High School and this year I will be taking two computer classes; Web Development, and Digital Design. I will get certifications in Adobe and HTML, anyways what do you think kind of job I could work at to forward my career as a Computer Programmer? Maybe just work at a grocery store until i'm old enough for college? The college I was looking at was Fullsail University Online.

I would avoid the certifications. They would just waste your time without much real payoff. The certifications that do bring attention cost a few thousand dollars to take, and I would only ever bother if an employer paid me to do one.

I would also avoid online colleges. You're young, you don't have a job and children to worry about. Enjoy life for a while, be social! College is more about the social aspect than most would give it credit for. (That doesn't mean get smash drunk all the time, it rarely works out well...) Online colleges are for people that need to take classes on their own time, you're flexible at this point, capitalize on that fact.

If you want to be a programmer you'll need a few languages. I would strongly suggest getting a hold of Ruby to start out with, it'll get you up and rolling faster than Java would. It tends to be gentler than Java is for introduction.

Get on Project Euler and do a few of the problems in Ruby, it'll give you some ground to work with. Best hint I can give you? Recursion, learn it.

Freelance sites are likely to eat you alive, too many Indians and other people swarm the sites with overly cheap bids and make it impossible to really justify anything unless you're in a higher class. If anyone wants to prove me wrong on that, I gladly welcome it, I could use some reference sites for newer devs.

Get in on Open Source whenever possible. Find a project you like, and read the code. Find out how it works, study it. When you feel like you know it, consider a fork on github and try making your own commits. The best way to learn is to practice. The worst way to learn is programmer self help articles on the internet about learning in a week.

Not one of us were experts or even all that good when we started. Everyone here had to work to get experience. It was long and difficult, but in the end most of us wouldn't think twice about doing it again if given an option to start over.

Good luck mate.
Was This Post Helpful? 6
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 07 August 2012 - 04:14 PM

View PostLemur, on 07 August 2012 - 03:45 PM, said:

View PostDvastyn, on 07 August 2012 - 01:43 PM, said:

I would avoid the certifications. They would just waste your time without much real payoff. The certifications that do bring attention cost a few thousand dollars to take, and I would only ever bother if an employer paid me to do one.

I would also avoid online colleges. You're young, you don't have a job and children to worry about. Enjoy life for a while, be social! College is more about the social aspect than most would give it credit for. (That doesn't mean get smash drunk all the time, it rarely works out well...) Online colleges are for people that need to take classes on their own time, you're flexible at this point, capitalize on that fact.

If you want to be a programmer you'll need a few languages. I would strongly suggest getting a hold of Ruby to start out with, it'll get you up and rolling faster than Java would. It tends to be gentler than Java is for introduction.

Get on Project Euler and do a few of the problems in Ruby, it'll give you some ground to work with. Best hint I can give you? Recursion, learn it.

Freelance sites are likely to eat you alive, too many Indians and other people swarm the sites with overly cheap bids and make it impossible to really justify anything unless you're in a higher class. If anyone wants to prove me wrong on that, I gladly welcome it, I could use some reference sites for newer devs.

Get in on Open Source whenever possible. Find a project you like, and read the code. Find out how it works, study it. When you feel like you know it, consider a fork on github and try making your own commits. The best way to learn is to practice. The worst way to learn is programmer self help articles on the internet about learning in a week.

Not one of us were experts or even all that good when we started. Everyone here had to work to get experience. It was long and difficult, but in the end most of us wouldn't think twice about doing it again if given an option to start over.

Good luck mate.

Wow what an amazing and educational answer. I understand that online is for more of the married type with kids, that's why i'm still a bit iffy on that. I talked with Full Sail University today and they seem very nice and they have an accelerated program. I will look into more colleges but try to avoid ones like ITT Tech.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Pragmatism over Dogma
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 07 August 2012 - 09:45 PM

I would go to a state college for the experience if nothing else.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Toubabo Koomi
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 07 August 2012 - 10:06 PM

You are getting certifications in Adobe & Digital Design, & you want to know if these will help you get a job as a programmer?

If by digital design you mean a programming class, then yes.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Hash != Encryption
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 07 August 2012 - 10:14 PM

Your web development class isn't going to help much. Don't rely on it to teach you everything, you're going to have to go out of your way and learn more. It's not that hard though. Web development can be taught to you for free, you just need an internet connection and some motivation.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover

• View blog

Posted 10 August 2012 - 07:56 AM

Considering your amount of knowledge and experience, I would recommend avoiding online colleges and especially "accelerated" programs specifically. Attend a regular in-seat college, meet people who share your interests and have fun while learning. As for the certifications, I share the views of many across this community: If an employer will pay for them, meh, why not? If I have to pay for them and they won't in black and white writing improve my position, keep moving.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 10 August 2012 - 12:04 PM

View PostAnalyticLunatic, on 10 August 2012 - 07:56 AM, said:

Considering your amount of knowledge and experience, I would recommend avoiding online colleges and especially "accelerated" programs specifically. Attend a regular in-seat college, meet people who share your interests and have fun while learning. As for the certifications, I share the views of many across this community: If an employer will pay for them, meh, why not? If I have to pay for them and they won't in black and white writing improve my position, keep moving.

I don't feel like dealing with idiots in my classes.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 10 August 2012 - 12:15 PM

Aaaaaaaaand it sounds like someone could deal with more socializing. Remember in college the majority of your classes will be with people sharing a common degree and/or course of study. They won't all be idiots and you are certain to find more than a few that could easily look down on your ability and declare you their idiot. Not to mention group work and learning that projects are not something you can always undertake as a one man wolf pack. I've seen people get get shit reviews at work because they can't work in a group.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• LIKE A BOSS
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 10 August 2012 - 12:23 PM

View Postmodi123_1, on 10 August 2012 - 03:15 PM, said:

They won't all be idiots and you are certain to find more than a few that could easily look down on your ability and declare you their idiot.

There is always somebody smarter. And I bet they didn't even have to ask this question on a forum.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 10 August 2012 - 12:26 PM

Zing!
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Toubabo Koomi
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 10 August 2012 - 01:10 PM

View PostDvastyn, on 10 August 2012 - 03:04 PM, said:

View PostAnalyticLunatic, on 10 August 2012 - 07:56 AM, said:

You're in the wrong career if you don't want to deal with idiots. From end users, to management, to co-workers, you'll rip your hair out.

Drop the IT mentality like you know wtf is going on, & you may get out of this without getting an ulcer. Or causing one.
Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

• (3 Pages)
  • +