7 Replies - 753 Views - Last Post: 07 August 2012 - 07:43 PM

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Tackling a programming problem as a Team

Posted 07 August 2012 - 04:36 PM

What is the standard way of solving a programming problem as a team? like what steps should a team take?
I can't find any articles about this on the web.
Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Tackling a programming problem as a Team

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Tackling a programming problem as a Team

Posted 07 August 2012 - 05:50 PM

What do you mean by problem? A problem as in a bug in existing code, or problem as in making a new project?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 07 August 2012 - 06:07 PM

Starting a new large project from scratch

This post has been edited by EventHorizon: 07 August 2012 - 06:08 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 07 August 2012 - 06:14 PM

You start as anyone would start.. define the problem space..figure out what a final product sounds right.. then the components and resources needed.. get a design doc up with state diagrams, class diagrams, database tables, etc.. map everything out and then start making milestones... then build a schedule, divie up the work, and get cracking'n..

Oh and don't forget things like a common code repository for everyone, builds, and release schedules.
Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

• Pragmatism over Dogma
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 07 August 2012 - 06:35 PM

Evaluate the members of the team. What do you have to work with? Is one member an algorithmic genius? Is another a database maven? Take all strengths and weaknesses into account. You don't want to go to war with someone unless you know them, and I believe this is a good way to circumvent quite a few problems.

Planning. You're not allowed to think about code or solving the problem at all. In this phase you need to define the issue, what is it and what contributes to it. Why does it need solved? What issue are you hoping to solve or mitigate? What needs to be done?

Analysis. Find out everything about the current method of doing things, what data models they use, the people involved, the pricing. Everything. Unless you can fill a good 5 pages solid of sheer writing you're not being detailed enough. When I say detail I mean you had better know how many specs of dust are on the customers monitor. You need data, now find it at this phase.

Preliminary Design. You get to start thinking about solving the problem now. Brainstorm, come up with ideas, lock yourselves in a room with a few 12 packs (of soda of course) and bounce every idea off the wall that comes to mind. When calmer minds are prevalent after this, narrow down the ideas to the most practical, legal, and cost effective for the client.

Detailing the design. This s where you start laying out the schematics for the problem itself, you need to have the data models and skeletons made for every one of the programs on paper and in solid writing. You need to be able to hand this paper off to some completely unknown development company and they'll be able to build it to the exact specifications required. Detailing means detail, don't skiff or it will cost you.

Development. Hit that laptop and start plugging away. Get everything done and make sure it works. Pretty self explanatory. As always, do not cut corners. Do it right the first time, otherwise you'll pay for it soon enough. Document: DOCUMENT EVERYTHING. Code once, debug twenty times, rinse, wash, repeat. Throw every monkey wrench at the thing that you can, or the client will find it later. Guess who that is calling at 2am?

Installation. You get to deploy the program and make sure it works. By works I mean you can hit it with a metaphorical sledge hammer and it'll stand fast and strong against it. Make sure it's built to last.

Training. Remember when I said to document? You have to make sure the client can understand every last detail of what they need to be able to do. Make manuals and easy to read documentation for usage for everyone. Everything you miss will cost you far more later in support calls.

Support and Maintenance. This is where karma takes you in the pants, every little detail you skipped before comes back to haunt you tenfold if not worse. This is the nightmare stage where you pray it all works, because enough of a failure and you'll be supporting this for quite a long time. Know when to say support is cut off as well, fair warning.

Hope that helped a bit.
Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 07 August 2012 - 06:35 PM

Yes, that's what i want to know. do you know anywhere on the internet where i can read about this more in depth? even if it's a book or an article.

Edit: i appreciate that answer Lemur. Yes it does help, thanks

This post has been edited by EventHorizon: 07 August 2012 - 06:46 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 07 August 2012 - 06:55 PM

Books? Hit up favorablely reviewed "software design" or "software architecture" books on amazon. Headfirst makes a few...
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Pragmatism over Dogma
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 07 August 2012 - 07:43 PM

You tend to learn best when you jump into it. Read all the books and how to's you want, it won't be a substitute for going out and just doing it.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1