Why use Unity?

• (2 Pages)
  • +

19 Replies - 3333 Views - Last Post: 10 August 2012 - 01:31 PM Rate Topic: -----

#16 modi123_1  Icon User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Why use Unity?

Posted 08 August 2012 - 11:30 AM

Another question "Make own game engine from scratch" <-- Does this means, open text editor and start writing, for example with Java code, that will solve your problem?

In theory.

A game engine is just a systematic way of controlling the user's input, the game state processing, and the graphics - right? It's all code. Hell I built a VB.NET pseudo game engine for a tutorial on OO using a timer for constant loop processing.

Of course I don't know what "solve your problem" means... what/which problem?

But what I saw, is just pressing commands on the screen. It is weird for me, because I did write 0 line of code to do that.

Again - take a screen shot of what ever this is.. I am curious.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#17 novakasss  Icon User is online

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

Posted 08 August 2012 - 11:55 AM

View Postmodi123_1, on 08 August 2012 - 11:30 AM, said:

Another question "Make own game engine from scratch" <-- Does this means, open text editor and start writing, for example with Java code, that will solve your problem?

In theory.

A game engine is just a systematic way of controlling the user's input, the game state processing, and the graphics - right? It's all code. Hell I built a VB.NET pseudo game engine for a tutorial on OO using a timer for constant loop processing.

Of course I don't know what "solve your problem" means... what/which problem?

But what I saw, is just pressing commands on the screen. It is weird for me, because I did write 0 line of code to do that.

Again - take a screen shot of what ever this is.. I am curious.

I hope we're talking about two different things, because if we not, than I'm stupid. Maybe you talking about game engine, that you import to your project? Than I agree with you, because slick game engine is the same as you talking about. if you want screen, here it is : Maybe I'm blind, but I don;t see where to write code.

Attached image(s)

• Attached Image

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#18 modi123_1  Icon User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 08 August 2012 - 12:03 PM

Yeah.. that's the built in Unity IDE. You don't need to use that, but it makes things easier. Here's a whole section of their website dedicated to programming within, and outside, Unity.

http://unity3d.com/u...ine/programming
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#19 novakasss  Icon User is online

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

Posted 08 August 2012 - 12:13 PM

View Postmodi123_1, on 08 August 2012 - 12:03 PM, said:

Yeah.. that's the built in Unity IDE. You don't need to use that, but it makes things easier. Here's a whole section of their website dedicated to programming within, and outside, Unity.

http://unity3d.com/u...ine/programming

fuu... I was started to think that I'm stupid :D
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 10 August 2012 - 01:31 PM

Okay, so if you want to write code in Unity (which is a good idea), just right click in the project window (bottom middle of your screenshot) and select create->C# script (or whatever language you want, though if you know Java, C# is very similar). Name your file, double click it, and Unity should open an editor called MonoDevelop. MonoDevelop is just the editor that Unity uses as default, you can replace it with your own if you want to.

Also, this is an important page.

This post has been edited by Tayacan: 10 August 2012 - 01:31 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• (2 Pages)
  • +