3 Replies - 1081 Views - Last Post: 08 August 2012 - 03:28 PM

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Computer Science VS Computer Engineering, which is better for me?

Posted 08 August 2012 - 06:47 AM

Hi everyone!
I'm an international student, will be seattle for college studies.
I don't know which might be better for me.
But I acutally wanna be a software engineer.
The most important element for me is the work opportunities. I don't actually know which might be easier to get a job. And which might be more difficult, or just which might be more potential in the future :)
Thank you very much :)

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Computer Science VS Computer Engineering, which is better for me?

• The Algorithmi
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Computer Science VS Computer Engineering, which is better for me?

Posted 08 August 2012 - 06:59 AM

My advice is to not think in terms of money or job opportunities, instead think about which one you like better, that way you can be good at it and eventually make good money as well. Pick Computer engineering if you are interested to learn about some hardware and electronics in addition to computer programming, pick computer science if you're more interested in mathematics. Since you want to be a software engineer, you may want to look into software engineering programs, a lot of universities have those, otherwise I think its better to pick CS. Its also a good idea to talk to an adviser at your school.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• Please show what you have already tried when asking a question.
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 08 August 2012 - 07:20 AM

As the designated hard-ass let me put to you as one grown up to another - No rainbows and unicorns just hard truth:

Nobody here knows you, your likes, your strengths, your loves, your motivations, your situation and your desires for life. How the hell is anyone here supposed to be able to guide you to the right path in life?

Nobody here has a crystal ball that can predict the future or the future of jobs. If we did the last economic meltdown wouldn't have put 25% of us out of work as well.

The college has councilors to sit down with you and talk to you about this sort of thing. If you are so lost in what you want out of life that you can't make this decision with their help then take that as an indication that you aren't yet ready for this stage in your life. Join the army, see the world, grow up a bit while you get some real-world experience.

This post has been edited by tlhIn`toq: 08 August 2012 - 07:21 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

• Pragmatism over Dogma
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 08 August 2012 - 03:28 PM

If you're worried about impressing employers all the time and about approval you're doomed to fail and burn out fast.

I'm of the mentality that I love to work with technology, especially scripting. I find it a quite novel concept that people will pay me to sit around all day and script.

The difference between mediocrity and greatness is completely based in attitude. If you don't have passion you're not going to get very far.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1