8 Replies - 2214 Views - Last Post: 17 September 2012 - 06:33 AM

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Is Computer Science my best bet if I want to be a programmer?

Posted 08 August 2012 - 12:12 PM

Hello I'm new here. I didn't know where to post this question so I decided to post it here.

So I want to be a programmer, and I'm going to university next year.

I think this question is stupid because it's quite obvious my best bet is Computer Science, but just wanted to make sure. Maybe there are other subjects, which I doubt.

So is Computer Science the best subject to study in university if you want to be a programmer/developer.

Thanks

P.S.: What's the difference between programmer and developer. I think they are the same right?

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Is Computer Science my best bet if I want to be a programmer?

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Is Computer Science my best bet if I want to be a programmer?

Posted 08 August 2012 - 12:17 PM

Yes. But it should be noted that it's not the only subject you could do if you want to be a programmer. I know a lot of people who now program for a living who did Math, Physics etc at Uni. Ok they all fit in a distinct technical category, but just so you know you don't have to study computer science (although it's probably the best option).
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 08 August 2012 - 12:18 PM

View PostAmeer27, on 08 August 2012 - 12:12 PM, said:

Hello I'm new here. I didn't know where to post this question so I decided to post it here.

I think this question is stupid because it's quite obvious my best bet is Computer Science, but just wanted to make sure. Maybe there are other subjects, which I doubt.

So is Computer Science the best subject to study in university if you want to be a programmer/developer.

Thanks

P.S.: What's the difference between programmer and developer. I think they are the same right?

Oh, and if there is a difference and I decided I wanna be a developer, then what's the best subject to study?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#4 modi123_1  Icon User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 08 August 2012 - 12:18 PM

Moving to the student campus..

I would spend a serious amount of time looking in the student campus forum here.. this question is almost a twice a day thing.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• Self-Trained Economist
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 08 August 2012 - 12:20 PM

You might want to check out our FAQs as we've had similar questions asked frequently.

In your intro level classes, you will basically be learning how to program. Once you get into your upper-level CS classes, it becomes a lot of theory (read- math and proofs) and low-level work (C, Assembly, Computer Architecture). There are software engineering/business information systems degrees at most schools that are for more practical applications of IT. You will probably have to take a lot of business classes for those majors, as they are usually in the business departments. CS is commonly found in the engineering schools of most colleges, and requires a basis in chemistry, physics, and lots of math.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Born again Pastafarian.
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 08 August 2012 - 12:21 PM

Yes, it generally is the best subject if you want to become a software engineer/programmer/developer, although some Universities offer courses that focus more on specifically software engineering, since Computer Science can be a surprisingly diverse subject (which I'm realising at the end of my first year). However, if you haven't already started learning, don't wait until Uni to start learning about programming, I think that's a mistake. Have you began learning about programming? Got any languages in mind that you are attracted to?

This post has been edited by Aphex19: 08 August 2012 - 12:21 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover

• View blog

Posted 08 August 2012 - 12:39 PM

What's the difference between programmer and developer. I think they are the same right?

The words themselves carry a difference, but in our line of work they are pretty much hand-in-hand. Titles are just titles, often times carrying similar if not the same duties depending on the workplace. In my area I see Programmer, Developer, Architect, Analyst, and even Technician just as a few of the popular examples.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 11 August 2012 - 03:19 AM

The best thing you can do Is just go for it and start programming. I'll say that to anyone.

As for which course to choose, Computer Science is a good place to go but it does tend to focus on a lot of different areas of computing as well. Personally I chose a course in Computer Games Programming, people look at me like its a doss about subject but really its main focus is practical application of programming.

My advice for course selection is READ THE COURSE DESCRIPTOR and make sure you understand what you're going to get from the course !

Good luck OP
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 17 September 2012 - 06:33 AM

Thanks

I am personally doing Software Development for my programming course
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1