9 Replies - 3650 Views - Last Post: 09 August 2012 - 06:41 PM

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Site Redesign

Posted 08 August 2012 - 03:36 PM

Hey guys, I'm currently redesigning my site and would like some critique before I code it into my blogging engine. I've been working on wire frames and overall coding process this week, and I'm pretty proud of what I've been able to make. I tried using shades of colors to make certain parts stand out more. I use a subtle border radius on certain elements to give them a good look, without being too distracting. None of the forms you see on there work yet and all the posts are dummy text. I'm planning on replacing my current site with this. Thanks for checking it out guys :)

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Site Redesign

• Programming Theoretician
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Site Redesign

Posted 08 August 2012 - 04:07 PM

Uhhh there really isn't anything to show on either of those sites. Why not fill them out more and then ask again. I will hold judgement in the meanwhile.

:)
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 08 August 2012 - 05:41 PM

What do you mean by fill them out more? lol
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 08 August 2012 - 05:45 PM

He means you have text.. in on a background... there's no style to suggest or comment on.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover

• View blog

Posted 09 August 2012 - 07:24 AM

I applaud the quick load time, however, as Martyr2 and modi123_1 have already stated, without more content there really is no use in critiquing.

This post has been edited by AnalyticLunatic: 09 August 2012 - 07:24 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 09 August 2012 - 08:35 AM

It has content though, the only temporary content is on the homepage and posts. And modi, there is style, over 600 lines of CSS. You probably think it's just text on a background, but it's not. This is the type of style I went for.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 09 August 2012 - 08:50 AM

six hundred lines or not - if there's just text in cells it doesn't lend itself for critique, but sure.. what evs... let's go with this. ;)

First it lacks any graphics which makes this pretty bland to read.
The gray background is boring. Either texture it or make it something less drab.
The black text website logo is also uninspiring.
The lightblue on gray sortof works, but when it hits smaller fonts (the comments) it becomes hard to read.
The same goes for the buttons (about, contact, etc).. maybe thicken up the font..
Nice effect in the mouse over.
The whole site looks like crap in IE.. make sure it's browser compatible.
I don't get the navigation bit in the footer... maybe side bars?
The footer is unreadable.
Over all my first impressions when I hit the page are "what is this, and why should I care?" There's nothing telling me (visually, contextually, or just textually) what this site is supposed to be about or what... i just immediately get overly large text on a bunk gray background. As a random internet viewer there's nothing there that gives me a reason to stay on the site or revisit it.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 09 August 2012 - 09:17 AM

hmmm, I see some of your points. Others, I don't. I'll see what I can do, but I'm not going to go away from the design I had in mind.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover

• View blog

Posted 09 August 2012 - 11:39 AM

View PostEnvXOwner, on 09 August 2012 - 09:17 AM, said:

hmmm, I see some of your points. Others, I don't. I'll see what I can do, but I'm not going to go away from the design I had in mind.

It is your site, and therefore your choice, but Modi123_1 did make some excellent points.
I like the general idea of where you are wanting to go with it, but definitely could use some improvements.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Pragmatism over Dogma
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 09 August 2012 - 06:41 PM

My opinion? Minimalism is by far the most difficult style to achieve. At this point I would say that it eludes you, and will for quite some time. I try and shy away from minimalism as much as possible just because of the sheer difficulty of it.

The key weakness is that it has no structure other than a linear progression. You need to guide the reader in more directions than just straight down. Use columned layouts, newspapers are great sources of inspiration.

In minimalism, structure and typography are king. The use of color should be kept down and there should be very few images, and those that are present need to be distinct and contrasting of the rest of the site.

Look into some bolder typography. Verdana and Georgia can only take you so far, and helvetica is too much of a go to and not fitting of the site. Cufon and fontsquirel are better resources for finding new fonts. Look into Gothics and Geometrics, mainly Sans Serif fonts.
Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1