7 Replies - 6392 Views - Last Post: 11 August 2012 - 07:10 AM

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

Assembly language project

Posted 08 August 2012 - 06:29 PM

So I've been looking at Martyr2's Mega Project Ideas List! but there's nothing on assembler.

Can you recommend me a project in assembly language that I can do to add to my portfolio?

Here's a sample of my best x86 ability:

Spoiler

Thanks!

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Assembly language project

• "Hurry up and wait"
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Assembly language project

Posted 08 August 2012 - 06:43 PM

There is no mention of ANY language on that page. It is just a list of projects you can practice with. EVERY last one of those projects CAN be done in Assembly!!! Pick an OS, and a dialect of Assembly and get coding!!!
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

Posted 08 August 2012 - 06:52 PM

View PostGunnerInc, on 08 August 2012 - 06:43 PM, said:

There is no mention of ANY language on that page. It is just a list of projects you can practice with. EVERY last one of those projects CAN be done in Assembly!!! Pick an OS, and a dialect of Assembly and get coding!!!

I really don't believe that. :P I honestly cannot find anything on that list that would be suitable for assembly (aside from the numbers section, of which I already did a lot). Maybe a text editor? A simple non-scientific calculator? I wouldn't know how to do the graphics part, though.

This post has been edited by carnivroar: 08 August 2012 - 06:52 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• "Hurry up and wait"
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 08 August 2012 - 06:59 PM

I honestly cannot find anything on that list that would be suitable for assembly

C'mon, then why use Assembly?

Pick something on the list that you are unsure of how to do, and do some research and try to code it. Going out of your comfort zone is how you learn and get better at something.

One of my programs interacts with websites and uses networking. Another uses SQLite. I download images from a server and display them in another. Everything is possible in Assembly, albeit not easily at first.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 10 August 2012 - 03:13 PM

This might be a little too much, but why not try to design a very simple os, it doesnt really have to do much?

That is one of the few things that requires assembly, so it would make sense to do that, instead of making it hard for yourself and make somehting u could have done easily in f.eks java. At least it is a very interessting project, and you will learn much about the basics of how a operating system is built and works :D

I'm looking into OS developement my self, and I think it is very interessting. If you really are interessted, here is a link to a guide on how you can start : http://www.brokentho...OSDevIndex.html

This post has been edited by sidebrok: 10 August 2012 - 03:17 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

Posted 10 August 2012 - 05:48 PM

I've been programming in assembly for only 1 month... thanks for the suggestion though! :)

This post has been edited by carnivroar: 10 August 2012 - 05:55 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• "Hurry up and wait"
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 10 August 2012 - 05:55 PM

An OS is nowhere near a project for a newbie to a language. Hell, it is not even a good project for many people...
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 11 August 2012 - 07:10 AM

haha, i think it is a god idea :) I had a lot of problems understanding how assembly worked, but after i started reading on OS developement in assembly i've started to under stand a lot more about how both assembly works and operating systems and what happens on the lowest level in the computer. I was ofcourse not talking of building a fullscale OS but, just something that u could boot on an emulator, and maybe show off some fancy tekst, and maybe even add some small features to it like a basic calculator or teksteditor:) It is pretty complicated, but it is a very good way to learn the different sides of assembly. :)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1