I seriously suck at logic; What should I do?

• (2 Pages)
  • +

15 Replies - 6057 Views - Last Post: 10 August 2012 - 02:18 PM

• D.I.C Regular
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: I seriously suck at logic; What should I do?

Posted 10 August 2012 - 02:18 PM

Object oriented programming made no sense to me when I started learning, but after a while of using an object-oriented language you should pick it up. And don't worry about not using it - most operating systems were designed using C, which offers no such paradigm.

As a relatively new programmer who recently "saw the light" in programming (though that happens about every few months), here's my advice: don't spend too much time reading about a language. Spend it building things - maybe simple games, in your case. Use the Internet to your advantage: if you don't understand an error in your code, paste it in Google. Make sure you have the basics down before you worry about unnecessary things like object-oriented programming or recursion. Don't feel like you need some advanced understanding of math to program, unless you're working on something ridiculously high tech. Learn (math and everything else) as you go, and as necessary. As for languages, I would recommend Java and Ruby at first. I personally hate Ruby with a passion, but I would be a better programmer had I started out with it. I don't think you have trouble thinking logically - I think as a beginner you may find it difficult to translate your personal understanding of logic into programming language syntax. Just get very acquainted with if-else and for/while, and you should be good to go.

Good luck! Stick with it.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• (2 Pages)
  • +