6 Replies - 512 Views - Last Post: 14 August 2012 - 12:38 AM Rate Topic: -----

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

How is this possible

Posted 09 August 2012 - 06:57 AM

Hi, there is something really wrong either with me or with my solution. The situation is:
I am making a BingMaps Silverlight Application that works with the DeepEarth Digitizer. There was a original solution (first one) and I am making a second solution (application) that has a lot in common with the first one. When I say in Common I dont mean sharing projects or something like that. SO, the first application wasnt started by me and it included a Digitizer. When I started the second one I wanted to use the changes I made in the first application's digitizer, so I copied the project from there, pasted it in a new folder in my new project and included the NEW folder in the second application. So far so good. A digitizer showed and it was fine. HOWERVER i tried numerous times to make changes on the digitizer and nothing happened. So I was wondering for some time, and tried a few things. For my COMPLETE AMAZEMENT I deleted the project from the solution, and the digitizer kept running. ?! What, how, why ... I have no idea. There is no code, not a single file, or anything else associated with the Digitizer, except the DeepEarth.BingMapsToolkit.Client.Controls.Digitizer.dll that I added a reference to in my silverlight projcet. SO all it needs is to have it as a reference and to create the digitizer in the XAML. I dont think if I explained it well, but it is really strange for me. I am in no way opening the "plane" original project of digitizer, because the digitizer does the things that were added in the first application. And there is no code, no project no nothing. I cant understand how it displays a messegebox, for an instance, with a certain message, and the message just doesnt exist in my code. Nor anything else associated with the digitizer. My only theory is that it somehow remained connected (referenced or whatever is the right termn) with the first project. I cant find anyway to find this ... connection or how to call it.
Can someone please try to explain to me what is going on, because I need to include the digitizer in the application and nometter what i do nothing happens. The damn thing just stays as it is.

This post has been edited by astian: 09 August 2012 - 07:00 AM

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: How is this possible

• WinRT Dev
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: How is this possible

Posted 09 August 2012 - 07:07 AM

Your assumptions seem right. Check the each projects' references and delete all digitizer references you can find. Then copy the Digitizer project from earlier application to the new solution and add the references to it.

And just to be sure, go through your Debug/Bin folders and delete digitizer dlls you find before adding the project.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 10 August 2012 - 12:29 AM

It didnt work :S :( ... I deleted all .dll files (there was just one) , deleted the project folder and copied it again from the old project. The damn thing is still the same. I change the code and nothing happens ... it stays the same...
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#4 Skydiver  Icon User is online

• Code herder
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 10 August 2012 - 01:10 AM

Is the assembly that you are referencing in the GAC (Global Assembly Cache)? If so, you should remove it while you are doing active development so that you don't run into this confusing situation where you are unsure where from an which flavor of the assembly you are loading.
Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 10 August 2012 - 02:51 AM

I am really sorry but I dont understand what this means ... Where and what is that GAC and how to check if I have the reference set to it. Can you please give more information on how to check it. And just to mention, ofcourse I am not really aware, but I dont think that the dll is the only problem, because the changes I currently see in the digitizer are from the old project, and I know where they are written (cuz I wrote them) and they are written in the digitizer project in the digitizer class file.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#6 Skydiver  Icon User is online

• Code herder
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 10 August 2012 - 03:25 AM

More information about the GAC: http://msdn.microsof...(v=vs.100).aspx

You can find it at C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\assembly if you browse using the Explorer.

How did you add a reference to the digitizer assembly? Did you browse to the old directory initially? Or more to the point. Did you follow janne_panne's instructions?

Check the each projects' references and delete all digitizer references you can find.

Then copy the Digitizer project from earlier application to the new solution and add the references to it.

I saw your respond to the second sentence, but did not see confirmation that you did the first sentence.

Anyway, if that still doesn't work. Go to the directory that contains your .csproj file. Post the contents of that file here so that we can double check the reference paths being used by the compiler.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 14 August 2012 - 12:38 AM

I am sorry for wasting your time, once again I underestimated my own incompetence when dealing with files and projects in the solution. In the end, ofcourse, it seems that after a hundred times of checking which exact assembly file I was using, I didnt see, that by somereason, when the first project was started someone decided that there should be a copy of the assemlby file of the digitizer in the debug folder of the main project. So, as I am not quite familiar with how things are connected with each other, I thought that in the new project the reference should be set to the exact same file, and then adding the project of the Digitizer. HOWEVER, there seems to be another .dll file for the digitizer, which actually takes effect when changin the code in the digitizer project. Who thought that the assembly I was missing was in the project I wanted it to be... :) anyway when I added the references correctly this time, the changes in code Actually took effect. So for trying to help me despite my habit of being lost beyond finding I thank you very much. All should be well when it ends well, though it doesnt feel like it... :)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1