4 Replies - 6522 Views - Last Post: 09 August 2012 - 12:05 PM

• New D.I.C Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Outlook Monthly Status Report Generator

Post icon  Posted 09 August 2012 - 11:03 AM

I'm not sure if this is the appropriate section of the site to post this, if not, moderators, please move this to the needed area.

Hey everyone, I finished working on this project today and really wanted to share it. It's a monthly status report generator for Microsoft Outlook. I'll explain in more detail below. I tried searching on Google for a solution like this but had no luck, so I worked on making my own and now I'm sharing it.

So first things first, about this small project. Where I work at, I'm required to send a status report to my manager every month basically detailing what I've done for the past month. In the past, i didn't really keep track to well of all the things I did, so I decided to start creating tasks in Outlook that would help me manage things better. I noticed that Outlook Tasks had the option to create a status report, but it only creates a status report for that task, not a cumulative total or multiple tasks. I also didn't like the formatting to well of the email generated.

I created this to help take into account all of the tasks I create for each month and bundle them into one nice email for a status report.

Some things to note:
  • I am not the best programmer in the world. Please by all means, look at the code and critiize it harshly. The more I can learn the better.
  • This was created using Microsoft Outlook 2007. I do not know how well it will work in previous or future versions

With that said, please feel free to use this. I've attached it as a .zip file. There is a ReadMe.txt file inside that explains everything in greater detail, as well as how to install/setup, access, and use the script.

Attached File  Task_To_Status_Report_Generator.zip (9.33K)
Number of downloads: 296

Cheers,
Christopher Whitley

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 3
  • +

Replies To: Outlook Monthly Status Report Generator

#2 modi123_1  Icon User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Outlook Monthly Status Report Generator

Posted 09 August 2012 - 11:12 AM

How about some screen shots of it in action?
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 09 August 2012 - 11:40 AM

Sure thing boss, here are the screenshoots

Example of Task List

Posted Image

Date Select

Posted Image

Setting Category Filters

Posted Image

Generate Email

Posted Image

Completed Email Example

Posted Image
Was This Post Helpful? 4
  • +
  • -

#4 modi123_1  Icon User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 09 August 2012 - 11:45 AM

Nifty.. I just use excel for our weekly status updates.. though I vaguely remember writing something up eons ago that did the same thing but to a text file..

Good job!
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 09 August 2012 - 12:05 PM

Yea, I originally had the idea to track everything I do in excel, but we get tasks assigned through outlook to us. That would have required me to start exporting them to excel, so I just figured why not do it all in outlook.

Maybe someone else can get some use out of this as well one day.

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1