1 Replies - 656 Views - Last Post: 09 August 2012 - 06:05 PM

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Processor Synchronisation

Posted 09 August 2012 - 12:19 PM

Hi.

I have set up a very small cluster (2 nodes, 4 processors on each node). I am trying to monitor CPU, memory and network resource usage for it. I have installed Ganglia monitoring tool on it which is quite cool. I now need to deploy a few benchmark HPC(High Performance Computing) C++/MPI applications to benchmark them. The cluster has Ubuntu desktop server installed on it at the moment.

Can anyone please advise how I can get the processors in the nodes to communication with each other and deploy the application so all 8 processors work together to compute the problem?

I have been advised I may need to write a synchronization code which I have no idea how to do (total newbie programmer!) or I should look for a job scheduler?

I came across the following list of free software but I really don't know which is the most appropriate to what I need to do.

Download Free Windows Clustering Open Source Software - SourceForge

Can someone please advise?

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Processor Synchronisation

• D.I.C Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Processor Synchronisation

Posted 09 August 2012 - 06:05 PM

I am not 100% sure what you're looking for, but I think it may be something like this: http://piccolo.news.cs.nyu.edu/ - I've used it before for processing large datasets in parallel on multiple nodes in a cluster. It's written in C++ and uses Google's MPI under the hood. The paper on the webpage would also give you a good idea of how Piccolo works, if you need. It also comes with a few examples as well (some in C++ and some in python). Some of the exampls include: Distributed Web Crawler, PageRank, and K-means Clustering. You can use piccolo to write code that performs a task in parallel. All of the load-balancing, syncronization and what not issues are handled under the hood for you. Hope it helps...

This post has been edited by LivingNightmare: 09 August 2012 - 06:07 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1